No start...clicking noise indicates what?

cpa5oh

I've read the recent threads on no-start problems and I have read people say that a clicking noise means the battery is no good while others say it means the starter needs replaced.

About two hours ago my 95 Regal decided not to start. I turned the key and it turned over (normally) for about half a second then stopped and I noticed the clicking noise (pretty loud...sounded like it was right up in the dash.) After that, everytime I turned the key, all I got was the clicking noise. I tried one of those jump start packs (bought it a while ago, never have had to use it) but it wouldn't turn over. I also noticed that when I put my foot on the brake the interior lights dimmed and the clicking noise slowed down...this was right from the beginning (not after I tried starting it a thousand times.) Battery is old...at least three years. Starter is relatively new...under one year (but I got it from Advance and have had problems with their electrical parts in the past.)

Would this make you guys think that the problem is a battery problem or a starter problem? Or could it be either?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

My car was doing the same thing.. just clicky no starty.. exact same symptoms you described. Found out it was just a bad connection now it starts perfect.

1. Check and clean the connections to the battery, starter, fuse box. If they are not tight, they will not work properly.

2. If the battery is old, get it tested.

My car was doing the same thing.. just clicky no starty.. exact same symptoms you described. Found out it was just a bad connection now it starts perfect.

1. Check and clean the connections to the battery, starter, fuse box. If they are not tight, they will not work properly.

2. If the battery is old, get it tested.

Alright I'll do that. Most likely I'll buy a new battery, hopefully it'll get started so I can get it home, then I'll clean and tighten all of the connections (I was reading some people having problems with their battery cables...I may look into replacing those as well.)

The real thing I am worried about is the engine being locked up...I would think that if the starter couldn't turn the motor over because it was froze up that the solenoid would click...but I wouldn't expect the lights to dim when I hit the break pedal (and activate the rear brake lights.)

Tighten down the auxillary positive terminal nut. The one on my 95 Regal worked loose on me when I was driving down the damn interstate one night! Everything except for the keyless entry, dome lights, and hazzard flashers went dead, too. After I tightened down the nut on the post, she sprung back to life! Since then, I check the nut every couple of weeks (one of these days I'm going to put another nut on top of the one that's there so it won't back out...)

Thanks to everyone that responded.

I just ran to the autoparts store, picked up a battery, installed it and the car fired right up...perfect.

It was the battery and nothing more serious.

I'll tell you what, though...changing the battery in this car is a helluva lot harder than any other car I've ever had...I still don't have the washer bottle back in place. :lol:

Thanks again.

i think its the start because when they click its the cylinod on it isn't getting the power to turn the car over or it is bad. learned that in my science class :lol:

That would be my best guess!