Aftermarket deck in 89 Grand Prix LE, help anyone?

GeorgioVonWilmenheimer

Alright, so I ripped out the old tape deck and radio parts, but the wirring harnesses don't fit in the one I bought (supposed to be for 89+ gms) The guy at A&B sound said that I would have to go further back, to the factory amp, but I can't seem to find it, without ripping apart my whole dash.

One weird thing that was noticed purely by accident, if you turn on the radio, set a station, then unplug the radio, it will still be playing that station! Quite a shocking discovery, never expected that...

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Yup. I assumed the same thing as you when I replaced my stereo last year.. I used probably 10 inches of wire on all wires to make them reach. Don't short yourself so make sure they are all the same length and that they will reach.

wow, replies come fast. I was just going to say never mind I checked for myself, but already 2 repies. Thanks alot guys.

Another little thing is that it looks like where the old deck was is a rather shallow opening. How do people get their deck to fit in there without sticking out an inch? Also I've seen dash kits on the net (ie http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=265-667 ), what are these for and should I get one?

[EDIT] Fixed link (hopefully) if not try copying the link into your browser window

wow, replies come fast. I was just going to say never mind I checked for myself, but already 2 repies. Thanks alot guys.

Another little thing is that it looks like where the old deck was is a rather shallow opening. How do people get their deck to fit in there without sticking out an inch? Also I've seen dash kits on the net (ie http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=265-667), what are these for and should I get one?

That link doesn't work for me. I have the aftermarket kit for my 88' which I am no longer needing. When I had the stereo originally installed in the car (the 88) there was a special deal on the Kenwood decks (free installation). So I've never personaly done one myself. My 95 was really easy though, and there is actually room behind it for wires!