Ding Box Wiring

Dirty Rockstar

I have a Ding Box from a 94 Grand Prix SE sedan.. First off, I would like to point out that in this car, it wasa not below the cluster as I initially thought.. It is behind the glove box, just as in years prior.. But, I need to know what to splice, wire, etc. on this.. I have never been completely clear on this, and I did a search, and sifted through all 1800+ results to no avail.. Thanks for any help you can give..

Maybe if you asked this question 5-10 years ago, I could've given you a conclusive answer. The company I used to work for (they've since closed) made those annoying "chime modules." I'm sure I could have gotten ahold of the CAD drawings, or had one of the engineers who made the test fixtures tell me which terminal did what...

iLo siento mucho, señor! :(

Ok, A slight update.. I went out and just plugged the new box in.. I turned the key, and I now actually have a bell.. Instead of a contant Beeeeeeeeeeeeep..... But, the NEW box has some wires coming out of it.. Which I suspect as being part of the locking system.. Which would also explain the need for the extra blade connector.. The blue one from my 90 4 door has a missing connector and no wires hangin off it.. The 94 GP one has the extra blade terminal and has the wires hangin off it.. I need to know wherer to splice the wires, and what I do about that missing blade.. But for now, that bell owns! lol..

Luminas just beep?

Can't say I've ever heard a Lumina.

I got mine out of a 94 GP and it was under the cluster (sort of). I got one out of a 94 CS and it was under the dash just like 88-93. I can't say I have any idea why it was relocated in some cars and not others. I guess it's just a mystery.

I hope the wiring info I sent you in PM helped.

Did yours come out of a sedan or coupe? Maybe it was a mid-model year change.. Id say the GP I got mine from was an earlier one because of the location of the box.. Yea, Luminii just BEEEEEEEEEP.. Until whatever is making the box go off disengages.. Kinda annoying..

Yea, Luminii just BEEEEEEEEEP...
Maybe the "pole piece" was hungup inside the coil and not moving up and down against the metal disc. Crack opent the housing on the old chime and locate the part that looks like an "m" (the middle leg is inside the coil.) The coil moves that part (pole piece) against a thin round disc, and that's what makes the "ding ding ding" sound. I can remember the plant I used to work for "final tested" every single module (chime or otherwise) before it left the bldg. I can remember a common reject symptom would be the chime module "beeping" instead of "dinging." As far as I know, GM never made a "beep" module during the late 80's/early 90's, so I'm sure that's what your old one was doing...

All Lumina's have the annoying beep... well atleast every one I've ever seen. Now it's possible that it's a '90 thing because mine and sycho's are 90's but I'd still say it's all the first gen.

I have a dis assembled pic I will post after I reboot myt computer.. It looks in perfect health.. lol.. Prolly is a Lumina thing.. Hell.. They prolly decided to save a few pennies and make only one tone!

EDIT: Ok, restart complete

274035_113_full.jpg

The dinger thinger from my 1990 Euro.. Looks ok to me.. lol.. Ill bring it to the meet Disco,and we can plugit in if ya want to listen.. Anmd look at it.. lol

274035_113_full.jpg

AAAAAAAAAH! Nightmares! Make it stop! :lol: :lol:

That circuit board, case, and "pole piece" are exactly the same as the modules we made (yours probably wasn't made at our factory, cause we used either black, tan, or burgundy colored cases.) I don't see how they'd have made them purposely "beep" with that design, cause the ones we made were supposed to "ding." I'd be willing to bet that it made the "ding" sound when it was new, but as it aged, the pole piece probably started binding up in the coil. I wonder if you cleaned out the inside of the coil where the pole piece slides in if it would start dinging?

Then again, maybe the IC chip was programmed differently, cause the ones we made had 2 different tones (the slow ding for "Fasten Seat Belts," and the fast ding for "Headlights Left On") yours could've been programmed to beep instead, ida know. Damn, this is going to bug me now, cause I haven't kept in contact with any of my old co-workers who'd know whether or not that was designed to beep :x ...

Well, the thing was clean on the inside and out.. Ill take some canned air and clean it out, -plug it in and test it out.. Since my dash is still.. Well.. Gapingly open.. lol.. Ill let ya know..

Steve, I was wondering if you could snap a pic of the date code/product ID # stamp on the outside of your old chime module. I can tell you now if the last 3 digits of the ID# are either 794 or 745, then they're supposed to "ding." Those are the only 2 product numbers I can remember off the top of my head. I know we made like 4 different modules for GM (and one was shared with the Jeep Cherokee :shock: ) and I was curious if yours had a similar number...

274035_113_full.jpg

AAAAAAAAAH! Nightmares! Make it stop! :lol: :lol:

That circuit board, case, and "pole piece" are exactly the same as the modules we made (yours probably wasn't made at our factory, cause we used either black, tan, or burgundy colored cases.) I don't see how they'd have made them purposely "beep" with that design, cause the ones we made were supposed to "ding." I'd be willing to bet that it made the "ding" sound when it was new, but as it aged, the pole piece probably started binding up in the coil. I wonder if you cleaned out the inside of the coil where the pole piece slides in if it would start dinging?

Then again, maybe the IC chip was programmed differently, cause the ones we made had 2 different tones (the slow ding for "Fasten Seat Belts," and the fast ding for "Headlights Left On") yours could've been programmed to beep instead, ida know. Damn, this is going to bug me now, cause I haven't kept in contact with any of my old co-workers who'd know whether or not that was designed to beep :x ...

the one in my cutlass is black maybe it was made at your factory :lol: