Opinions?

dsgrntld187

Hey guys,

I was out looking for new cars today when I came upon a 1995 Monte Carlo Z34. It's got 92,000 miles, and I asked the guy selling (it's a used car dealer) about it and he told me that the timing belts are in good condition, and I trust this guy because he was in the same Auto Mech class I'm in, just a few years before me. Anyways, they only want 3500 dollars, and it's in pretty good condition. It's got a few dings, and theres no grille emblem, but otherwise it's pretty ok. Do you think its worth it?

Only 92,000? 92,000 isn't a little bit of mileage. Around 80,000 miles is when most cars have parts that start to go such as starter, alternator, etc. Now I don't know off the top of my head any specific problems with that gen. Monte but 92,000 miles isn't low.

Well compared to all of my cars its low. My Cutty has 120k and my Blazer has 111k. I'm gonna look into it more. I'm not gonna get anything with a 3800 and I'm sure as hell not gonna end up with another 3100.

Well compared to all of my cars its low. My Cutty has 120k and my Blazer has 111k. I'm gonna look into it more. I'm not gonna get anything with a 3800 and I'm sure as hell not gonna end up with another 3100.

whats wrong with the 3800? Come on the 3100 is a good engine, just not the fastest.

yeah only offer $3000 tops, there getting these cars for like 1K at the auctions right now. $3500 leaves them with plenty of wiggle room

since when? they are still comanding $2000 in this area wholseale at auction. The last monte we had, a 96, brought $5900 6 months ago.

grandautoscard.jpg

92k on a Monte 3.4 I think would be opening up a can of worms that would hit you like a diesel train. Unless you do your own work on the engine, including timing belt and alternator of course. My advice is not to be taken lightly by any means, I've quoted prices for service on cars with the 3.4 and just about every customer looks at me like I have antlers on my head.

Again there's nothing wrong with a 3100 or even 3800 and they're quick enough if they've gotten proper maintenance.

I would be doing my own work now that I have a shop to do it in. In my Auto Mech class, we're allowed to bring in our cars to work on, and the teacher is a ASE Ceritified Master Mechanic who knows more than any other guy I've ever met abotu cars. He doesn't like the 3.4L, but could help me when I neeeded to do my own work.

The ASE mechanics at my job hate the 3.4 too but they also hate the 3100/3400 for some ungodly reason. The apes couldn't do a fucken water pump OR route the ignition wires right! I could understand accidentally switching a pair of pushrods when changing the intake gaskets and knocking up a valve or 2 though :lol:

Actually this is the only Z34 with the 3.4 for sale in this immediate area. Theres one other, a 97 but its an LS with the 3100. Cutlass Supremes and Grand Prixs are the only common W-Body around here. There hasn't even been a Lumina Z34 for sale around here in probably over a year.

Jeez I'm glad I didn't ask about my Cutlass.. you woulda said it was too high :lol:

I looked on Auto Trader last night, and theres another Z34, exact same year, exact same mileage, exact same options, only difference is it has a grille emblem probably, and they want 3995 for it. Most of the Z34s I'm finding in a 50 mile radius are going for at least 3500 dollars, except the ones with ~125k miles