Foglights on with highbeams

terryk2003

i have a '97 Cutlass Supreme and i was wondering if anyone knows how to make the foglights stay on with the Brights?...i've read about it being done on some other cars by jumping some pins on the relay, but i'm not sure which ones...if anyone knows how to do this, please let me know...

Mr "tloftus" posted a write-up on how to wire in a relay to keep your low beams on when you switch on your high beams. I'd say just follow his write-up, but wire in the fog lights instead of the low beams. Maybe wire in the fog light's switch to another relay to kill all the power to the fog lights whenever you don't want to use them...

the factory fog lights are junk as they are not brighter than the parking lights (no lie!)

That's kinda what I was thinking. The only fog lights that I've seen make an actual difference are the ones on these GP sedans.. haven't seen the coupe's, so I can't speak for them.

on the mini quad cars, the low beams stay on with the highs...the factory fog lights are junk as they are not brighter than the parking lights (no lie!)

I can attest to that. I have no idea why they were even put on these cars.

The only good they are is that they provide a mounting space for REAL lights.

well, i actually have Sylvania Silverstar foglamps, and i have them aimed in such a fashion that i CAN see the foglights with the low beams on...they DO make it brighter...also, i converted my mini quads to Sylvania Silverstars and they're pretty bright now but i have them aimed to shine the light farther down the road, so i want the foglights to put the light right in front of me...

my foglights stay on with the highs. i haven't had any wiring problems, overloads, shorts or anything.

HPIM0651.jpg

my brother wired it up for me while i was doing one of my monthly brake jobs. i'll ask him how he did it.

It's easy. There are 2 coil pins on the foglight relay labeled #85 and #86. One is +12V with the foglight switch on, the other is Ground. It's grounded through the high-beam bulbs, so when high beams are on, the ground becomes un-grounded. Cut that wire and tape off the side going to the highbeams and ground the relay side. Or if you can't get into the relay wiring, you can possibly bend a pin of the relay and connect a wire to it going ot ground.

I don't see the point of having fogs and high-beams on though. The conditions at which foglights and highbeams would be beneficial are mutually exclusive. Fogs are pointless in anything but fog, high beams make seeing in fog worse.

I don't see the point of having fogs and high-beams on though. The conditions at which foglights and highbeams would be beneficial are mutually exclusive. Fogs are pointless in anything but fog, high beams make seeing in fog worse.

I wouldn't either, but some people have replaced their fogs with driving lights.. I literally switch back and forth at night between my highs and lows with driving lights trying to decided which one I can see better with.

some people have replaced their fogs with driving lights

do these fit in the factory holes?...do they look similar to the factory fogs?...who makes em, and where can i get em?...i personally don't have a big problem with the factory fogs, BUT i'm all about BRIGHTNESS...so, i would consider swapping

Blazer Tech 2600 is what I have. I think its what Gutlass has too. Check on ebay. I got mine for 10 bucks (+10 bucks shipping), which isn't bad. I just used to stock wiring, but I believe Gutlass completely rewired it, right?

*typo: Gutless*

Blazer Tech 2600 is what I have. I think its what Gutlass has too. Check on ebay. I got mine for 10 bucks (+10 bucks shipping), which isn't bad. I just used to stock wiring, but I believe Gutlass completely rewired it, right?

*typo: Gutless*

yea I have the 2600s. They fit right into the '92+ CS cutouts.. I left the stock wiring alone so it's just sitting there. Used the wiring that came with the lights; one wire into the driverside underhood fusebox and one grounded right next to it and their set. Fuckin bright lights too.. I have to take my off and aim them better though.

damn...those are pretty bright...so, do they plug into the factory harness then?...and does it use a special bulb, or are they the same as the factory fogs?...you REALLY got me convinced now that these are pretty wicked and they'd be the way to go...only problem is...i just looked on ebay, and did a quick search of the net and came up empty handed...lol...well, thats my luck...but, THANX...

Well, I didn't know I didn't have to run ALL the wiring, so I snipped the end off of the old fogs and wired them to that (Black to Black, Red to Purple). They take special lights, and they come with the kit, but who knows if you can find them in stores :s.