Changed My tranny oil. Yuck!

Dan94Z34

I just changed out my tranny oil in my Z. That shit was nasty, very very dark red. The filter also had black shit all over it, and rubbed off on everything while I was taking it out. With everything back together I noticed that the tranny shifts much smoother now. Glad I got it done with 106K on the clock now, and driving 80miles round trip for work a day.

whelp, trans fluid should be red - that's good, it's when it starts to turn yellow that it gets bad.

also, the black shit on the fliter is probably covering everything in the trans, that's clutch material that's been warn off.

Changin' the fluid is always a good thing to do.

shal we go back to the dex-III vs. Type-F converstaion - LOL

it's always nice to hear when trani's work out well that way.

--Dave.

that Lucas stuff also coats the clutches and allows them to ware faster.

if you're going to add anything extra to your trans, make it the "posi lube" addative or some other type of friction modifier.

Not only does the lucas coat your clutches, but it also gets into the bores of the valve body, and almost literally scratch the mating surfaces allowing extra fluid to eventually slip by. Every person I've seen use the lucas trans product has had a blow trans within' a year.

--Dave.

that Lucas stuff also coats the clutches and allows them to ware faster.

if you're going to add anything extra to your trans, make it the "posi lube" addative or some other type of friction modifier.

Not only does the lucas coat your clutches, but it also gets into the bores of the valve body, and almost literally scratch the mating surfaces allowing extra fluid to eventually slip by. Every person I've seen use the lucas trans product has had a blow trans within' a year.

--Dave.

... And thank you for telling me that now.

wow, this is the first real argument against the tranny fix ive ever heard. Ive run the stuff in my blazer (which had its share of slipping when I got it, changed 3 quarts out and put it a bottle of lucas, 11k later its still shifting fairly well. the 4t60 in the GP used 2 get a bottle every 4 months or so with new fluid, never an issue. you have tests to backup what ya saying? im not doubting you bout id like a little proof.

If you have to use an additive in your transmission......of any form........something is wrong with it. Fix it. Thats my view anyways.

Yellow ATF? Never seen that before.......even Allisons don't get that bad.

If its black, its definately time to change the ATF out.

All the black stuff over everything was simply clutch material....its supposed to be that way.

So.....how did you do this? Simple pan drop and new filter? (Any chunky bits in the pan or filter?) Or did you flush it to? (You don't need any speacial eqpuiment or tools to do it.)

If you still had the reusable pan gasket I hope you reused it. The cheap ass gasket they give really sucks.