normal running temp for 3100?

THe_DeTAiL3R

When I leave town, hit the highway (going like 55mph) the needle doesn't even go past 1/4. When I get into the City traffic, it goes up past half (normal). I know the 3.1 in our van and the 2.8 in my 88 would normally be around or little past 1/4 with a new t-stat and coolant.

I recently flushed my rad and have new Prestone (50/50mix)... I should change my t-stat I'm thinking....

I haven't changed one on a 3100 before any quick tips? (I haven't really done anything under the hood yet).

What do all your guys 3100s run at normally?

Sounds like normal operating temps to me. I wouldn't start worrying until you start hitting the red zone on the temp gauge. The fans should kick on (assuming you aren't running the AC) when the needle nudges past half way on the gauge...

the Cutlass ran at about 210 normally, but reached as high as 230 in traffic on hot days...I thought the fans kicked on at 227*(they did on my 3100 that is).

I wouldnt get concerned over it unless you see steam coming from under the hood.

Its not getting hot... in the city it warms up but overheating is not the problem. IF there is a problem its that its running too cool. Tomorrow I will cuss, throw tools, and hopefully get the thermostat changed (I think it might be stuck open).

Its not getting hot... in the city it warms up but overheating is not the problem. IF there is a problem its that its running too cool. Tomorrow I will cuss, throw tools, and hopefully get the thermostat changed (I think it might be stuck open).

beware cbad, I heard changing the TSTAT on the 3100 isnt a 10 minute job like on the 3.1 :motz2:

Well I replaced the thermostat and its running proper temperature now.

First I started the car and opened up the bleed screw on the t-stat housing.. coolant came out so I knew that the t-stat was stuck open.

I looked at the 2 bolts on the t-stat housing again.. and decided to remove the throttlebody. After removing the TB it took me 2 min to change the t-stat. I am glad I took off the TB cause those bolts were on there pretty tight, and I'm sure I would have just stripped the bolts if I tried with the TB on..

Anyways it now runs little past 1/4 on the guage on the highway (60*C or 140*F) when I was driving around town it went up to about half on the guage (100*C or about 220*F I think it was) and a little higher if I just sat on the spot for a while.... so its running good now. :thumbsup:

C-Bad......did you try pushing the old one in after you took it out? If it was sticking, when you push it, it should be feel rough and not smooth and may actually stick at one position

Yeah the old one was stuck open. I know this cause when I started the COLD engine I immediatly opened the bleeder screw and coolant came out (shouldn't have happened if the t-stat was closed like it should have been). When I took the housing off coolant was coming through as well.. it was in pretty nasty condition!