Valve cover removal...HELP!

TeeJay3800

I'm trying to remove my front valve cover. It looks easy enough except for a few things in the way. There is a metal coolant pipe that is flush up against the top of the valve cover and I think has to be moved to allow the cover to come off the head. Any suggestions on getting the valve cover off?

Pipe has to come off. Two bolts on the water pump outlet, replace that gasket. The other end of the pipe goes to the TB coolant thing. But, just taking it off the water pump maybe enough to get it out of the way

I'll see if I can find that gasket tomorrow. If I can't, I have some silicone sealant I used when I replaced the water pump. It's called "Permatex Water Pump & Thermostat Housing RTV Silicone Gasket Maker." Does that sound like what I should use?

Boy if you think that coolant pipe is in the way, wait until you get to your pass. side dogbone support. I need to do valve covers badly on my cutlass, but don't feel like tearing everything apart to get to them.

As for the sealer, yeah that should work.

Valve cover is off, sanded/buffed/polished, and reinstalled with new gasket. Dog bone mount did not have to come off, just coolant by-pass pipe had to be disconntected from water pump and moved to the side (put new gasket there too). I'll put pics up soon showing my new mirror finish plenum and valve cover (as soon as I can use dad's digi cam).