1992 Lumina Euro 2dr Maintenence

BrendonSAIT

Hey there, i'm new over here, but found my way here. someway or another, not sure really.

I own (and love) a 1992 Lumina Euro 3.1L 2dr. My father and i both have reasonable/exceptional knowledge of general maintenance/repairs etc. but lately there's something wrong.

a general overview of my problem is; normal city driving includes small potholes, bumps, etc. and when my back wheels (so far mostly my drivers side) makes a HELL of a noise. My dad believes it's the rear struts starting to go, and as i can't think of something else it could be, i'll stick to believing that.

Two questions now. assuming it IS the rear struts that are going out on me, and i don't have $1000 to get it repaird anywhere else, however i do have the $40 for used struts. How difficult is this repair to attempt ourselves?

Also, does anyone have any OTHER ideas of what the noise could be? it sounds like a loud, banging in the trunk (the lid's not loose however) over the wheels.

Thanks a lot for whatever opinions/ideas you can come up with

Brendon

a general overview of my problem is; normal city driving includes small potholes, bumps, etc. and when my back wheels (so far mostly my drivers side) makes a HELL of a noise. My dad believes it's the rear struts starting to go, and as i can't think of something else it could be, i'll stick to believing that.

Two questions now. assuming it IS the rear struts that are going out on me, and i don't have $1000 to get it repaird anywhere else, however i do have the $40 for used struts. How difficult is this repair to attempt ourselves?

Also, does anyone have any OTHER ideas of what the noise could be? it sounds like a loud, banging in the trunk (the lid's not loose however) over the wheels.

Ok, It sounds like it's the struts or the strut mounts, and or the monoleaf bushings. What I don't get is why do u think its $1000's to pay for new struts? And why would u buy used ones for 40 when new ones are like 60?

But to do the job its pretty easy, Basic hand tools can do it.

5speedz34, yeah, i wish they were 60 each lol. I'm up in Calgary, Alberta Canada here. i called a couple shops and all of them were around the $750(cdn) for labour, as well as $110(cdn) for the parts.

If we do this job ourselves, will we need to take the car in for alignment after? i hear yes, but i'm not sure.

Thanks

Rear struts? I didn't but you might, usually I don't think you do but you might.

Well tell me what that is in American currency, and I can compare prices around here. :lol:

But from struts I would think with a alignment it would be like 300-400?

i was told that (when i called for a quote on the parts/labour) that the alignment would be $69.99 + taxes +envirofees and all that stuff... so that will probably be around 100 total *crosses fingers*

thanks for your help

brendon

• 1 month later...

well, considering that I also live in canada, and can get a complete set of front struts + mounts + bolts for about $350 you might want to shop around for prices.

and the dealership will charge me $245 including GST to change my leafspring, so struts should be around the same, if not less...

and you can get a steel replacement leafspring for about $170 or so, as opposed to the $800 fibreglass one ;)