My new w-body!

DEMonte1997

Traded in the Monte for a 2000 Regal GS. It's black and gray with 31,000 miles on it. I needed to have a couple things fixed by the dealership before I bought it, but it seems really nice.

I'll try to post some pics of it by next week.

It's 100X better than the Monte in every way.

:D

How would it have been better? Because it ate through spark plugs and wires? Maybe because the tranny was garbage. How about the upper and lower intake gaskets? If that didn't make me want to get rid of the car, how about the timing belt problems? That engine needs to be kept on top of to be running well and I didn't have the time to be constantly playing with it. Not only that, the Monte has NO luxury options compared to the Regal. The Regal comes stock with front and rear stabilizer bars and it has a MUCH nicer ride.

It's been said before and I'll say it again.. the 3.4L engine became worse and worse as the years went on. I had a 1997. Many people said that was the worst year for the engine. After owning that car for 3 years, I tend to agree.

:(

edit: yea, the GS is blown. :)

I rather have a 98 Monte then a 97 thats when they threw in the 3.8 series 2 but congrats on the new car. :D

:?:

what??

OK for one the 3.4 DOHC is hell of alot better than a n/a 3800 Series II hands down. And secondly, why would you want a car that is 15HP less than the previous year and still be called a Z34? That is just messed up.

Well since you dont have time to take care of a 3.4 then by all means you shouldnt have a car with one. I just think the 3.4, if properly maintained, is a better overall engine. I'd rather have a 1994 Lumina z34 than be like 99% of the kids at my school and get a 2000 Grand Prix GT

I rather have a 98 Monte then a 97 thats when they threw in the 3.8 series 2 but congrats on the new car. :D

:?:

what??

OK for one the 3.4 DOHC is hell of alot better than a n/a 3800 Series II hands down. And secondly, why would you want a car that is 15HP less than the previous year and still be called a Z34? That is just messed up.

You ever heard of low-end torque, driveability, or reliability, my friend?

ive had the 3.8 II S/C, the 3.8 pre-I (87 bonne) (sister and mom have 3.8 II N/A), and the 3.4-X. i'd say i definitely like the S/C motor the best, but the 3.4 i like better than the N/A. so far i haven't had any problems with the 3.4, but im going to do the timing chain soon so i may have a different opinion about it after im done with that. i had a lot of good luck with the old bonne's engine. the 3.8 is one of the best motors ever built. i have serious plans for a 5 speed and turbo in the 3.4 so i may like it more than the s/c after im done with it, but only time will tell. i like the 3.4 over the N/A because i think they have more potential but they're harder to mod, so not as many people have fast 3.4's, so its something different. i like all the motors but everyone has their opinions with some people's being very strong. bring on the flames. its fun to argue about the 3.4 vs the 3.8. im excited about my first x motor

Believe it or not the 98 Monte Carlo z34 with the 3800 S2 was Faster than the 97 Monte Carlo Z34 in both 0-60 times and the 1/4 mile.

I love my 3.4. but I still have to stand up for the 3800's. :)

BTW way to go in the Regal GS. I won't mind getting one of those.

Thanks for all the support guys. I'm looking forward to modding this beast soon.

As for the DOHC: it was fun at first, but that engine gets tired really fast. You really need to make sure that the plugs, wires and timing is all up to spec to make sure that the engine is running at peak factory numbers. Before I sold my car, it probably would have been beaten by a stock 3100. Nothing against the 3100, but 215 stock hp vs. 160? My car only had 46000 miles on it btw. Something was wrong with the engine and I didn't feel like ripping it apart to find out.

In terms of the L67: I love the motor. It seems really smooth. I can't even tell the car is on half the time. :) The low end torque is incredible. The car basically drives itself. I find that I rarely have to use the boost, but it't there when I need it. :twisted:

Congrats & nice choice on the Regal. I have to agree that the torque on the L67 is very nice. I'm used to the 3100 which is nothing to turn your back on, but I can light em up very easily with the 3800.