Rear Defroster

Speckkial

I have a 93' CS 3.1 MFI and my rear defroster doesn't work. I've never tried it before this morning (its been hot all summer-it rained overnight and got real cold). The regular defroster works but it takes a loooooooooong time to defrost the whole windshield. I've also tried turning the A/C on during the summer but nothing blows out the vents, regardless of what the settings are on the climate control (air only blows out the defroster vent on the top of the front dash). I need an A/C re-charge, could that have anything to do with it? Or could it be a blown fuse or would it be something under the hood? Please direct me.

As for the vent issue, your vacuum check valve is broke/cracked or otherwise inoperative. It sits under your cruise control unit and has 3 or so vacuum lines running to it. Pull it off, go to the dealer and get another one. They run around $5-8.

UPDATE:

So I was talking to a so-called mechanic (works at Murray's) in my car club and I told him about this problem. He told me that the rear defroster problem was probably a loose or bad wire somewhere. He also told me that I probably needed a blower for the air to come out their respective vents and that it would be real expensive. Is any of this true?

UPDATE:

He also told me that I probably needed a blower for the air to come out their respective vents and that it would be real expensive. Is any of this true?

No.way.in.fuck. There's only one blower. A vacuum control module controls the vents. Just fix that control valve. I can't remember the number off the top of my head, but pull it off your car and take it to the dealer.. they'll know what you need.

Not to get off-topic but how well do the rear defroster repair kits work? I had about 10 lines go out in my back window and had to get it repaired. It doesn't look too bad, but I'm wondering how it will hold up in the upcoming years.

Not to get off-topic but how well do the rear defroster repair kits work? I had about 10 lines go out in my back window and had to get it repaired. It doesn't look too bad, but I'm wondering how it will hold up in the upcoming years.

it is a conductive epoxy that will help reattached broken tabs and also reconnects wires that are broken....it is pretty damn simple actually, and the kit was only ~$10....