Think I may have starter problems

whiteSE

Well, I am 90% sure that my starter has gone bad. Here is what happens...

Turn the key, acts like it will start, then doesn't. It turns over fine but it isn't catching. In the last few days, It would do the above 5-10 times and then start OK. But, this morning, it wouldn't start.

There is no so called "clicking" usually associated with a bad starter. What I am wondering is if maybe it's the solenoid or something.

This has been going on for a few weeks but intermittently. Only recently had it gone to the 5-10 times before it starts. The GP is running fantastic otherwise. So if it isn't the starter going/gone bad I am stumped as to what else it could be.

-Battery is 6 months old, lights and accessories are strong.

-Fuel pump cycles when you turn the key

I have no maintenance records for this car starter is the same one that was there when I got the car 5 years ago.

Thanks for any input - i am trying to drag this in to the weekend so I can do any maintenance myself.

Phil.

typically that's called the starter being "bent" meaning that the solenoid is not engaging the teeth of the starter properly into the flexplate/flywheel - or that the reverse roller clutch in the starter is shot - either way, time for a new starter, unless you know how to rebuild 'em yourself.

--Dave.

Thanks for the replies - confirms what I feared. This is just such a bad time for car problems - of course when is a good time :roll:

When I said turns over, I guess what I meant to say is that is does everything as normal when you turn the key short of actually starting, and sometimes not even that.

My dad came home today and was able to start it (after a few tries) and move it off the road out of the way. Tonight when I got home, I tried 3 times and it started.

I know someone that has a used starter off a 2.8GM motor - would it work on my GP or are they different. I am thinking just get a new one and be done, never know when that one will go.

Thanks. Phil

Sounds to me like your battery cables are on the way out. It doesn't hurt to replace them. I had an old Grand Am that I couldn't even get to engage the starter (even after trying the brand new battery I had in my other car.) I changed out the battery cables, and it spun the starter like it was brand new!

I'm still confused, does the engine actually rotate or does the starter just spin by itself when the engine won't start????

If the the engine is turning over at normal speed but it won't actually fire up than the starter is probably fine and the problem is elsewhere. If the engine doesn't turn over but the starter makes a sick sound or none at all, it's 1) the bendix 2) the solenoid.

Hope this can clear things up some.