GP1138

Alright. I have a dilemma. As you know, I own a 1989 Pontiac Grand Prix LE:

- 2.8 Liter MPFI Engine

- 4T60 Automatic Transmission

- Coupe

- Alloy Wheels

- 194,500 miles

- replaced engine, reconditioned tranny

- no real engine problems, but suspension needs replacing, hood needs replacing bad (this Thursday it won't) and the driver front cradle bolt is broken and I get mucho clunking when I make turns

Now, I have a chance to purchase a 1995 Pontiac Grand Prix SE:

- 3100 SFI

- 4T60E Automatic

- Sedan

- Steel Wheels

- 170,000 or so miles

- might need coilpacks, can come off of my '89 no problem.

The real problem with this car is that the rear driver door has been t-boned.

gph3_90copy.jpg

That, in lieu of actual pics (no digicam) is where the damage is. They hit the wheel, as well, so the wheel itself is out of whack, it's slanted, and wobbles as it spins, causing a constant whirring noise. I'm not sure if the hub/axle assembly is bent or not.

The only reason I'm considering picking this wreck up is that it's being offered at $500. It's got a good engine and transmission, and most importantly I'm not constantly worrying around every turn I make. I think the '89 will hold out past 200k, but I don't like to be wrong.

I think, with a little work, I could get the '95 back to at least somewhat how it was before the crash. I could get a new door for about $75 at a junkyard, and I might be able to either hammer out the quarter panel and rocker panel, or just replace them. Is that even possible?

List of things wrong with the '95:

- Turn signals are iffy

- Stalls sometimes (suspected ICM fault)

- CD player is broken (won't eject the CD reliably)

- Minor front collision (bumper cover is cracked and headlight assembly is pushed in a little)

- Eats alternators (normal W-body problem :lol: )

This car is definitely a fixer upper, but I drove it around all day today, and despite the whole door thing, I got back into my '89 at the end of the day and noticed everything wrong with it that I had previously ignored.

Anyone have any advice?

I wouldn't go to a car that has even more problems than yours does. It just.. doesn't seem like a great idea.

Most of the problems on this car are piddly 5 minute fixes. My car has a moving engine cradle. :shrug: It's hard.

negative captian...don't buy a car that would potentially have more problems than you already got. i mean it's one thing if you guy a car that looks decent then fucks up on you, or to buy a car that you already know if fucked up and then you still have to fix it.

if you have the resources avaliable to you that shoulden't be a very difficult fix, if you could go to a yard hand have them either torch, air chissel or sawzall the pieces off for you they can be replaced fairly easy you will have to cut the affected area on your car and get the new pieces cut to an exact fit then weld them in, it ought to be fine if its all done correct, i may be able to help you out with the repairs, just let me know.

Fact is sedans go pretty cheap...

That thing has quite a bit wrong with it, and possibly more that you don't know of (tie rods, balljoint, etc.) before it can be safetied.

If it was a 2 door B4U car I'd say go for it, but this one I say talk'm down...

Already told her I'm not interested. I'm going to look at a similar '94 Sedan, red as well, with an apparent motor knock and a dent in the rear driver door... a dent, he says. Let's hope it is that. $375. I go this afternoon.

95 Grand Prix SE.. hands down.

:lol: Sorry, already turned it down. I'm just gonna fix mine up. It's better not having to worry about crash damage, and hidden problems. I know all the problems with my car.

Guest Anonymous
negative captian...don't buy a car that would potentially have more problems than you already got. i mean it's one thing if you guy a car that looks decent then fucks up on you, or to buy a car that you already know if fucked up and then you still have to fix it.

I got my petty knowing its messed up. I dont regret it at all. When I have the money to fix it i will. I just wanted the car that much.

i dont know though, 500 for a screwed up sedan... its probably bench seats and no ooptions... u could prolly pick up a much better one for not much more.