Any Ideas for an '89 Regal?

buckethead

I just picked up an '89 Regal Custom in great shape and I'm looking for some ideas to trick it out. I already have a few of my own:

1) Switch out the horrible burgandy interior. I'd like black but i'm not sure what's available from the junkyard.

2) Switch out the amber turn signals with the clear ones from the 91 and newer 2 door regals. They look the same, does anyone know if they'll just bolt right in?

3) Put on a set of these wheels:

VT1393A.JPG :shock:

4) obvously put in a killer audio/video system

5) If i can afford it (time and money wise) swap the 2.8L with a 3800 (series II supercharged ?!?). I'm not even sure if that's possible but a man can dream can't he?

6) custom paint job: black to purple fade. (also if i can afford, :lol: )

If anyone has any other good ideas or knows what looks good on a regal, let me know.

I'll post pics soon

I think it's a matter of plugging in your "odometer" save board, and then plugging in the unit into your car, but hopefully others on here can help us out with better information

--Dave.

I put a digital dash cluster in mine last year. I dug into an old PM and found this for you:::::::hope it helps. You will like the UB3 but it takes patience and dilligence. It is a bit more involed than the rest of the w-bodies because of the second module that goes under the radio. Replaceing the E/Metric module that is there now.

What you want to get it going is in this old post at the bottom.

>>The UB3 has digital numbered speed and tach with bar graphs running up the sides and over the top. Rectangle guages with diagnal digital bar graphs for gas, water temp, oil pressure and volts. It has a L.E.D. odometer with trip and seasonal toggling readouts. The the rest of the standard indicator lights that are on the base digital cluster.

The cluster switch is easy but you have to relocate wires in the plug. You need the connector plug that comes with the UB3. Splice a wire for the tach (and a couple more). Drill one hole so the dash instrument bezel will fit back on. Best if you can get the one that comes from a UB3 car cause ther is a slight missalignment to the clear windows in the bezel. It is a job to get it all to function. I still have water and oil sensors to change out and there is another module that goes below the radio to find and install if you want the trip odometer and cluster display to toggle. These two really aren't a big deal---not needed.

To do it right you need the

1. Dash cluster,

2. dash instrument bezel

3. module below the radio with the E/M,

trip odometer, cluster display buttons on it.

4. four more wire end connectors for module,

(pin-out connectors)

You can get by with just the cluster and the wire connector but you won't get trip odometer or display toggle. The metric/english button in the dash currently will toggle on the new cluster.

I like my cluster showing numbers and bar graphs both so I haven't gotten around to finding the extra wire ends to connect the display toggle. I'm going to switch the pin-out connecter from the E/M button to the trip odometer which will leave me locked in english but able to use the trip odometer.

If you get the parts I can help you through it. I have hand written pin-out charts that are easier mailed US postal. I might be able to scan but I'll wait till you get a cluster.

Lee

Guest BeausoleilRacing

Black was only available in the Cutlass Supreme - correct me if I am wrong. You have a good start though as the Regal is one fine car. Mine, I patterend after the 1971 Skylark GSX complete with spoiler, emblems and stripes...

Oh yeah, I put duals on mine. Put the premiun cassette/equalizer radio set up in. Put in the GS leather steering wheel after dyeing it black. You can get a peek on my WWW site. Yeah I know..the pipes come out too far.

Mine is a four door with way too much chrome. Answer....for the front, I covered the chrome with black electrical tape. Durable, replaceable.

Well if there isn't any black interior parts for a regal out there in the junkyards, I guess i'll have to die the shit out of it and try to find some way to replace the carpeting, seats and headliner.

Does anyone know what good dies are out there? Also, does that stuff work on the plastic too, or just the vinyl dash pads? And, what should i do about the cloth on the door panels, how do you replace that shit?

Wait a minute there Bucket. You should not have any problem fitting 88 thru 94 Cutlass Supreme interiors into the Regal. Bucket seats in the rear might require some customizing but the front seats will bolt right in and I doubt the carpets can be too different. Is yours a floor shift? Your biggest problem with black is going to be the plastic parts of the doors and dash. The you got that ugly red steering wheel don't you? Question is cost of interior vs value of car. Maybe best to sell the Regal and get a Cutty. I like my Regal dash better than the 88 to 94 Dash but the Cutty has everything else I could want in the looks dept.

I'd just look for the black Cutty interior cheap. Replace it all, dyeing the red plastic black while the interior is out. I'd keep my shifter console also.