drilling rotors

dohc v6

is there any math behind drilled rotors. i have already skeched out a plan to drill my rotors and then get them ground. would this work. and can you use a regular drill or should i go to get it cnc cut.

when drilling rotors, they have to be specially treated, typically they will cryo treat the rotors to resist cracking and warping, and they will drill them after that process, then they will re-treat them again to assure resistance against cracking/shattering. that's often why they are so expensive. Same goes for slotting.

when I re-do the brakes on my Mustang, I will be sending them thru the same process.

--Dave.

Drilled and/or vented rotors can be very effective by keeping the rotors much cooler allowing the pads to grip better. Drilling your own rotors, however is a bad idea, as they were not designed to be drilled and you could severely damage the integrity of the rotor. If you want the benefits of a drilled rotor, spend the extra money to get new rotors built that way.

what is the process after drilling the holes. do i heat it up or is there a s pecial coating. would it be better if i got them cnc machined. also what is machined balanced and chamfered holes and can those be done a t a machine shop

actually, the place I go for my cryo treating needs charges $25.00 for a pair of rotors.

so I'll buy two rotors for $25.00, spend $25.00 on trating them, and then $25.00 on drilling and turning (to clean up drilling holes) and for a total of $75.00 I've got two cryo trated cross-drilled and trued rotors.

not too bad, considderin' most places charge $75.00 for one drilled rotor.

--Dave.

at the very least, you'll want to drill 'em on a bridgeport - but I'd recomend the CNC machine so you can get 'em done perfectly, to reduce the chance of cracking. using a slow bit with LOTS of lube is also best to reduce the chance of cracking/warping ... and ALWAYS turn your rotors after you drill 'em.

just do a google search for "cryo treating" to find a place close to you, or look in the phone book, that's how I found advanced cryo out here in MN.

--Dave.

i can ship them for like 5 bucks and the place here want 25 a piece. also where would i get them resurfaced because they are drilled. also i measured them then punched them then drill with a 1/8 bit and went up to a 1/4. then took a larger bit to counter sink them on the drill press. every counter sunk hole is equal. would this process work. also if you are planing on doind it can i send you my rotors and pay you for cryo plating them and then getting them resurfaced.i can get them drilled unless you have good access to the cnc.

I still get a shop discount from the performance shop I worked at.

normally I see they charge $56.00 per rotor. I could talk to my ol' boss and see if he'd still be willin' to do the hookup for me.

--Dave.