OBD II and such

Guest Anonymous

Gnat, I was aksing if my current gadgets would still work on an OBD II engine or if i would have to change them or something.

HUD will work. Anything that runs on serial data (like DIC) probably won't. Some OBD2 PCM's have a legacy DLC wire (has similar stuff like the old ALDL), but the data on that wire is much less than an OBD1 car.

Guest Anonymous

In the event you havent noticed, sl, I was asking if I put the OBD II engine in... will everything work correctly in my car? becuase im not going to spend all this money fixing it to have nothing work. i dont understand why no one understands the question. I didn't think it was that diffficult. Will everything still work in my car if I have an OBD II enngine? I think someone did actually answer it, I forgot who, something about the ecm managemant or whatever.

i dont understand why no one understands the question. I didn't think it was that diffficult.

It's because you said:

would an OBD II HUD work in the car as well

That's what threw me. Sounded like you wanted to upgrade to a different HUD. I don't understand why you don't understand why no one understands the question. I think we all understand now. :lol:

Guest Anonymous

If I had an OBD 2 engine, i thought i would have to upgrade to an OBD 2 HUD and i was unnsure how my DIC would still work. Thats all, since im still deciding to what engine to put in, i would like something thats not going to mess with my gadets. Sorry if it was wordy.

although an upgraded HUD would be kick ass, the radio stuff probably wouldnt work? Oh well. And if i have there obd2 3.8 in there, is there any way to keep my dic working properly?

Guest Anonymous
the DIC runs off the PCM or ECM for the most part.

as for the HUD and other accessories they have nothing to do with those signals

Thanks. Could I keep my existing pcm/ecm whatever gizmo even if i pput on an obd2 engine then? So confusing. Why couldnt they have made everything the same. and why couldnt they make timing chains? i would not be in this situation if they did. wtf.

I can guarantee your 92 DIC won't work.

97-03 HUD won't physically fit. If you made it fit and got a late-model OEM stereo (not sure what years you'd need, but newer than a 92) then the radio display will work. Except for the radio display, the 97-03 HUD uses exactly the same signals as the older HUDs.

04+ HUD would be a huge project requiring someone very skilled in programming microcontrollers (or someone willing to swap an 04+ complete wire harness, PCM, BCM, etc.). I have not even seen this HUD in person, but I've heard it's quite badass with a dot-matrix graphical display.

if you are doing a L67 in a w-body car you can use a 3800 series 1 engine harness and your stock trans and they should keep everything working. you just need a chip of sorts. there is a guy who did it in a 92 bonneville and there is a guy trying it in a 92 grand prix i think. this is a possible alternitive

Guest Anonymous

Gant, the new 04 HUD is beyond badass. the new caddy one is even nicer. Im not sure about the GP one, but the caddy one is a four color dot matrix display. I *think * I remember the GP one being just green and it has 18 or so different programmable displays. Its orgasmic. I'd kill for one, but its not worth the agrivation. Is it just me or are the early HUD's iimages very small? the 92 hud image looks much smaller than my 95 hud.

Even more, has anyone seen the new BMW HUD? that's just... wow... its full color, includes a naviagtion map as well all the other features... its onlyy available on the 5 though as far as I know.

brianteel, I was considering doing an n/a 3800 series 2. Ive posted in tthe past about it and im a big fan of that engine. We've had one for 8 years and its great... no complaints... much better than my 3.4's, which is why i brought up the question. I just want whats best for my car and me, and if its the 3.4, n/a 3.8, l67 whatever... but I want to be much more educated on them than I am know before i dive head first into this.

well the easiest thing to do is bolt it to a 4t60e or what every trans is in your car and use a regal harness. the firewall connect is the same so you would be able to run whatever obd 1 stuff you have.

Like i siad theough i only know that it was done on a bonneville.