load exhaust

stilesr9167

what class of cars?  

1. 1. what class of cars?

• Muscle
    • Rice
    • Luxury
    • Classy

I just recently had a high output cat converter put on as well as flowmaster 40's I had no idea what i was getting myself into I started it up after the welds were done and it was SO load it kinda shook my pants to stand behind it. so I put a 27" glass pack on it and it is still really load but i get 31mpg on the highway now as opposed to 29mpg so I like that part of it.

I had to take the change out of the console because at about 2k in a gear the car was so load and shoot so much it threw it right out..

so anyway how do you quite it down without loosing the performance?

If you want to quiet it down some your going to have to put a muffler on it. I'd suggest a magnaflow, its basically a well designed glass pack and it will quiet things down some without sacrificing any performance advantage.

By the way, loud is spelled with a "U" not and "A".

I would recommend removing the Flowmasters and get something that actually flows good, Magnaflow. Also, do you have a cat too? That might help quiet it down some. If not, get rid of the glasspack and get a resonator.

If a V6 is done WRONG it sounds RICE. If you get Magnaflows, or something that has a nice rumble and good sound at WOT then it is muscle. V8s are usually muscle no matter what brand of muffler.

I was really not for the fart can sound that is why i did flow masters i have them on my truck and it sounds awesome the car at idle and all through the gears sounds really good it is just to loud and like i stated earlier I have a high flow cat on it. Oh I also said earlier that I put a 27" glass pack on it wich I did but it is also a resonator.

you sure it's loud?

i have dual flow 40's, and a cat, and my car isn't loud. it's louder than stock, and rumbles more, but it doesn't cause loose change in the car to shake.

other members on this board have heard it too, and they'll tell you it isn't that loud.

unless having a 3.4 makes that much difference...

HEH too old huh? thanks for the compliment, I am 19 and when I put the high flow cat on with the mufflers I also replaced all of the piping with 2.5" brand new pipe. now don't get me wrong here it sounds great and the glass pack reduced the decibel level by about half but shaking the change out of the console is a little much, I will shortly be posting a movie of me flyin through gears on here and you will be able to tell.

Oh and just so you know I welded properly to bushings and supports I did not weld steel to steel. I guess I will post a movie of me hittin about 100 on here, in a few days.

3.4s sound different (as in wayyyyyy better) than 3.1s IMO.

you love that raspy shit, huh? I thought the 3.1 had it bad...

You outta hear my 3800 with the u-bend/res removed. I need better mufflers!

It could be worse...you could have an N-body with the 3300...run one of those bad boys with no muffler or catylidic converter! You can hear it from three miles away!

:lol:

My friend has an A-body with one....straight pipe on the exshaust w/ a cat

he revved it outside a few days ago...omes and and was like "that sounds sweet, doesn't it?"

I was like, "Um, it sounds like a 4 cylinder"

they do sound like a 4cyl with a cat on them..

the one my friend has is a 92 skylark gs. The thing is really raspy and it pops back through the pipes pretty bad too.

What is kind of cool about that car is it can go 115mph in second gear (it has a th-125 with 2.39 final drive). Other than that it pretty much sucks other than you can easily change the rear spark plugs

I think I am going to remove the system and put it under pressure to see if I can find any leaks. I just got the tips in today, they are camero stainless steel tips and they were on back order, two decent welds and i will be all set with that. The more I think about it the more that I think it is not much the noise but the fact that it is resonating inside the car due to the lack of tips.

Wednesday I will post a movie with my car.

Yeah, the 3.4 is pretty hard to make it sound good. I think I've had 4 different exhausts on mine. For a while, I had 2.5" from the downpipe to the Y into dual 16" long 4x8" Bullett performance mufflers. Loud and raspy is an understatement. Finally, I added a 18" long Dynomax round race muffler where the stock resonator would be. After adding the turbo, the sound was just right. For straight through mufflers, replacing every stock part will be quite loud, but with either a cat or turbo, the sound shouldn't be too raspy.

Tim

Uh yeah turbo is a little out of my price range. i plan on putton one on but a little much for just spending right now, I have the money saved to put a new 3.4 in once it goes out, 145,598 but who's counting right?

haha i can say i know loud too... my EURO lasted 3 days with mufflers and i couldnt satnd the quietness. so off they came and on went a Y pipe to make the fake duals. There was just a Cat. quieting it down... and it was def. loud. Sounded best at 2-3k RPMs after that it quieted. Everyone at School loved it.

With a high flow CAT, glasspack, and Flowmasters.....I'd say he's got RASPY taken care of. It would have been perfect with a flow tech purple hornies glasspack.

Someone needs to verify how loud he is in person. Where is Moulder when you need him?

On my 92 auto i had just an 18 inck glasspack where the factory resonator was and it had 3.5 inch tips on each side that was extremely loud but it sounded best when you had the hammer down :) THe 5spd i have now has a cat 2.5inch mandrel bent exhaust and 40 series i dont think its too loud and it sounds decent once the muffs get warmed up, its really raspy in the morning

just got tips, and after viewing via video I now know that the reason it seemed so load is that there was no tips on the car to push the sounds out. the muflers were pointed up and it was resonating of the bacnk bumper into the car. with the steel camero tips it looks and sounds really good, it is about the same on the outside without the really bad highway noise.

Its good i will put some pics of it on here.