whatn the h??????

jus2sweetregal

whats up guys? alright, my dads 3.1 is giving him problems. his car stalled out goin to work the other morning and it took a while to start it back up but then it ran fine. so on the way home from work the car was fine on the highway and then it started revving on the side streets to like 2g's or so. and when he was in my driveway the car was revvin then too, my mom said there was a lot of black smoke comin from the exhaust. so we replaced the plugs and wires and then started it up. now this is the first time i heard it today and he started it up. for like 3 seconds it ran normal then it was like reving four or five times in a row maybe to like 4 or 5 g's then a short pause then it revved like four or five times then paused and it kept doing this until he shut it down. he got out and said thats what it was doin on the way home and when he was in the drive. so, has anyone had this problem b4. hopefully i explained it right. someone said to check the fuel injectors so i might pull that apart tomorrow. thanks guys for any input.

:? Ive never heard of that problem before. hmm im lost for input. my guess would be a problem with fuel or spark? but since you replaced the plugs, then hmmm. maybe something along the lines with the TPS or something...

:? Ive never heard of that problem before. hmm im lost for input. my guess would be a problem with fuel or spark? but since you replaced the plugs, then hmmm. maybe something along the lines with the TPS or something...

who knows, maybe he was revving it with his foot on accident :lol:

the way you described it sounds like a vacuum leak, intake gasket failure, or EGR is stuck open. Check for broken vacuum lines, broken/split PCV valve hose. spray a little starting fluid around gasket mating surfaces and listen for idle RPM change (increase) that will help determine if there's any leaks. Possibly a failed MAP sensor too, but start first with locating a leak.

the way you described it sounds like a vacuum leak, intake gasket failure, or EGR is stuck open. Check for broken vacuum lines, broken/split PCV valve hose. spray a little starting fluid around gasket mating surfaces and listen for idle RPM change (increase) that will help determine if there's any leaks. Possibly a failed MAP sensor too, but start first with locating a leak.

i agree

well guys my step dad was on the gas when this was happenin. it wasnt just at idle. so the verdict is----- he was on the gas so much that it was the rev limiter. DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!! man why didnt i think of that. anyways he took it in and they cleaned the injectors, throttle body, and the throttle position sensor( base idle air control sensor as i know it). it was stalling out on him when came to a stop on the way there but hopefully it was just bad gas. it needed the plugs though, they were a little too much black. thanks guys. appreciate it.