Gas Tank

mrdarkside2k3

I am in need of something that can stop a gas tank from rusting. Anyone with any ideas? Replacing the tank is an issue later on, but for now I need a way to stop it. Oh and it's not the tank on my car.

Thanks.

You can use a rust convertor which should stop the rust than I'd spray it with some udercoating. If it's leaking use some of the two part epoxy you can buy at most parts stores, it's meant for gas tanks.

I think it would depend on how rusted the tank is. How far has the rust gone? Is it just surface rust? If it's just surface rust you might be able to get away with some sanding and some rust-proof undercoating.

I think the rust is on the inside. But thanks for all the info so far. This is for my Fiancee's father.

Not sure what you could do to fix that other than replacing the tank. They usually don't rust inside though :? What makes you think it's rusting inside?

You should never touch surface rust on your gas tank or oil pan etc.. unless you want a leak.

How do you know the rust is on the inside?

How did it rust on the inside? Did it sit with gas in it for a long time? Perhaps there was some water in the tank but I don't think that would rust it if there was still gas in it.

If its rusty on the inside throw it away...

On the outside I wouldn't sand it or anything, just use a a rust convertor and then a drippy kind of undercoating (one that can't hold moisture). Thats what I would do anyways...