F. end clunk under initial acceleration

supreme_style21

This happens from a complete stop or rolling start. Initial acceleration produces a clunk from the front end somewhere. It rarely happens cold.. as the car continues to drive, it becomes more frequent. I can also feel it occasionally(rarely) on bumps in the road.. small or big, doesn't seem to make a difference.

It can be felt in the driver and passenger floorboard, but I cannot feel it thru the steering column. Also it is only felt when the car is heading straight.. don't feel it in the turns. Basically everything in the front end is original at 99,000 miles.

I wanna say a mount somewhere. Upper engine mounts are tight. No idea about the others, but I say no to that because I feel absolutely nothing in the column. Would a transmission mount cause the problem to be felt only in the floorboards? Not in the column? Struts are seemingly good and tight, pass the highly technical 'bounce' test :? Also, tierods and balljoints, aren't those usually felt in turns? Am I wrong in these speculations? Wtf should I look for?

Guest TurboSedan

i've had two different problems with clunking noises with my Cutlass so far.

the first time it turned out to be the front struts. i thought it was the transmission at first, but after awhile i noticed the clunking noise even when the car wasn't in gear so i suspected a suspension problem. i got the strut cartridges replaced at the local Midas and the noise went away.

last year i had another clunking noise problem. this time it would only happen when going straight and only over bumps in the road at somewhat slow speed....i couldn't really notice the noise at highway speeds at all. it turned out to be a bad wheel bearing/hub assembly on the passenger side. i could raise the front passenger wheel and shake it at 12 & 6 o'clock, and also at 3 & 9 o'clock. there was obviously alot of play, and i could even look at the backside of the wheel bearing/hub assembly while my brother shook the wheel and it was REALLY obvious that all of the play was coming from the bearing. i swapped the wheel bearing/hub assembly out for a used one i had in my garage and the noise went away. after i had the old wheel bearing/hub out of the car it was even more obvious that it was trashed.

good luck!

I've suspected a hub on a previous problem, but found the source before I had a chance to check it, so I will have to look at that for sure. If it's going bad, its sure taking its precious time :?

Any way to check the lower mount?

Cradle mounts.. Never messed with it, where do I look and how do I tell if they're bad?

Mounts/Bolts- Same thing? I know nothin' about it obviously. Pretty sure they basically hold the engine in the car, but how dire are they when the cradle is clacking around like this then? Is it just noise or is it imminent death?

As mentioned before, dont over look your hub/bearing assemblies in front...

Checked 'em = A-Okay. SOMETHING has been howling/grinding/rubbing at slow speeds for a few months now, I've suspected the hub or pads dragging. My rotors are warping fast, so I'm blaming it on the front caliper(s) as the hubs are seemingly ok.. they usually go out much quicker than a few months, don't they? I jacked the car up and there is no play whatsoever in either front wheel.

My front right strut has a hell of a lot of bounce in it, whereas the left side is firm. I hope the problem is a strut.. I can change that fawker no problem.

ONE thing I did notice today is that the front end is going out of balance FAST. Just got new tires a few months ago, so I know they outta be balanced and aligned properly. Once I get around 60+, the front wobbles like a mofo.