turbocharging a Quad-4?

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

there doesn't seem to be much talk at all on this forum about the Quad-4 equipt w-body. so, has anyone looked into turbocharging a Quad-4/5-speed W-body? i would think they would have great potential since it is a 16-valve DOHC engine. i think the '88 Olds Pace car had a turbocharged Quad-4 in it (and i don't mean the replicas) - does anyone have any pics or info on that motor or heard of anyone doing it? just curious thanks,

joshua

I heard a lot of bad things about those engines and that even GM admitted that this engine was crap but why and what usually went wrong with them, how ofter they went bad and for how many miles they were good (did anybody ever reach over 100k with those without any problems?)

On the Quad 4 I've seen bad head gaskets mainly. And apparently the turbo iron duke 4 cylinder had really bad problems with blown head gaskets. Maybe someone can shed more light on that subject? I know there is someone here who had a Turbo Sunbird...

Jason

I think it's a Turbo Sunbird...

No, they weren't the Quad 4 Turbo the Cutlass Pace Car had in it. That made 250/250, and it needed a built 440-T4 and beefed up axles, among other things. I'm not sure what the Turbo Sunbird made for HP/TQ.

Jason

turboquad1.jpg

1988Pacecar5.jpg

I can make that! that setup looks VERY simmilar to the kits a local speed shop is building on the newer Quad 4 cavi's/GA's (1995+). the funny thing about thoes versions of the motors is they make JACK shyt for power even after trubo!

RedZ

That was me :D

A few cars had the turbo motor that was found in the Sunbird. Initially, it was a 1.8L OHC engine (Brazillian made for the Opal? or by Opal?) with a non intercooled turbo. That engine produced 155hp I think, don't know the torque. That engine was in the original turbo Sunbrids and even the Buick Skyhawks. (If you see a Buick Skyhawk with a hood bulge, that's a turbo car with the 1.8L. Later on, the Sunbird was equipped with the 2.0L OHC engine with the turbo. This engine made 165HP and 175ftlbs of torque. many GT Sunbirds actually had the engine delete option and just had the standard 2.0OHC engine (92-96HP). The turbo Sunbirds (87-89') had hood vents (non functional) on the hood towards the front, kind of like the Trans Am, only loovered upwards instead of downwards. This was not the only car that could get this motor though. The Grand Am's (89'-90' at least, dunno about the 88') also could get this optional engine.

That was a fun car, even auto equipped, it was good for sub 8 second 0-60, manual cars were around 7.4-7.5 0-60. fastest tested 1/4 mile Isaw was 15.7-15.8 sec in the high 80's MPH.

I had taken the stock air cleaner houseing off and stuck a K&N filter that originally went on my dad's Paxton supercharger. Good lord I thought I busted the thing first time I drove it... the hissing and whissling from the tubo was WICKED. Then when you lifted off the gas, it made this neat turbo air rush sound... almost like a purr... was cool. It really help the car too! I ahd also thrown on a Daynomax muffler and MSD ignition box. The car was an auto and was good for 7.3 0-60, testing with a Vericom computer.

Yeah that turbo Q-4 was in the pace car only from what I know. The highest rated HP on a Q-4 that I have seen was 190 for that Olds Acheiva W-41(?) car. The Barreta GTZ and Grand Am with the H.O Q-4 was rated at 180hp. Torque was still low. It was all high RPM HP. I had a friend that owned a Barreta GTZ with the 5spd (only tranny that came with the H.O version I think). He said it was dog under normal driving, and you had to get past about 5200rpm before it started to make decent Hp and torque. Very much unlike my Turbo 2.0L Sunbird where it made peek torque at 4300rpm. It would shift at about 5600rpm... much different than the Q-4's. The normal Q-4s were rated ata around 150-160hp I think. Don't know what the torque was rated at. They were noisey, buzzy engines too from what I have read and heard.

Head gaskets were the main problem with the quad4's, only Felpro makes the best head gaskets for them. The W-41 engine was in the 91 Quad 442 W-41 and 92-93 Acheiva SCX 190hp 160lbft torque. The H.O only came with a 5sp tranny 180hp 160. LO were rated at 160hp 150.

yup, that is a great site. I was looking att hat site initially when I was shopping for a W-body. They do have some stuff for the 2.8 and 3.1's.

Yes, I have seen a ton of stuff for the Quad-4. personally i think you can make it a great road racer engine, Just don't know if you would want to live with it on the street for everyday use.

I think I would like a Acheive SCX very much. I believe that car has one of the nicest front end styling of its time. Great from the side too. But why, oh why did the stylist put that choped off rear end on it ? The Skylark GS has the best tail, but why, oh why did they put that nose on it ? I'd still like a SCX someday.

yup, that is a great site. I was looking att hat site initially when I was shopping for a W-body. They do have some stuff for the 2.8 and 3.1's.

Yes, I have seen a ton of stuff for the Quad-4. personally i think you can make it a great road racer engine, Just don't know if you would want to live with it on the street for everyday use.

Its not that bad of an everyday engine, they just liked to get hot in city driving. I drive one every once in a while.

Someone on Berettanet did a turbo quad. Used some LO parts for lower compression. Works well, and the head gaskets (stock ones) go often. Also, I hear the trannie's 3rd gear synchro goes bad..otherwise, you're fine.

Zeroburn,

Question: What brings you to a W-Body forum when (I think) you're apart of J-Body.org and own a Cavalier? Got a project that's yearning for some attention? Helpful insights on the Quad4 motor? Excellent!!! Join the crowd! 8)

- RedFox340

actually if you take a look over at http://www.j-body.org, you will see that there are alot of people using that engine. For those who say it has no power? come on its putting just as much hp to the ground as most of your cars.

LMAO! A local speed shop (home of multiple 9 sec honda civics) has been working on kits for the quad 4 cavi's. Lets just say i am not impressed with the results. the fastest so far was a POS (abused) Auto running a MID-HIGH 15 in colordao. My Lumina with intake and exhaust (Stock boost) ran a 15.2 on SH*T street tires at the same track, not motor and HOTER day. My best to date was a 14.8 on stock boost. now with 3psi more, downpipe and DHP computer I rape high 14 sec cars. I have ran ALLOT of quads and a chick i know has one and its a huge turd.

Hopefully my LQ1 will not have the same horrible results that the Quad after i trubo it.

REDZ

For those who say it has no power? come on its putting just as much hp to the ground as most of your cars.

how much power are they making, How much torque, any dyno charts i would like to compare :)

I will give them a chance an not post my Lumina charts (235.5hp and 313.3tq for the curious)

Monte dyno (177hp 183tq):

http://www.mandsproduction.com/images/shane/montedyno.jpg

* Intake

* Underdrive pulley

* Borla Catback w/ Highflow Cat

RedZ