Went Junkyarding Today...Found plenty!!

OldsmoBeast

A friend of mine decided he needed some stuff for his Intrepid so we went to about 4 different junkyards here in town, all within walking distance of each other...

I managed to find a perfectly PERFECT set of charcoal leather front and back seats put of a 94 GTP...but they were 'spoken for' unless I could pay more than $250 Canadian and pull them myself. The pulling is no problem, but i have no money...maybe Friday when I get paid and figure out all my bills, I might be able to manage something... Meanwhile, while looking around, I stumbled across SO MANY 1st gen Grand prixs, mostly SE's or GTPs...with varying options packages...but plenty of DICs for anyone who wants one... I also saw a bunch of Lumina's, Regals, and a couple of 88-91 Cutlass Supreme coupes...plenty of 4 door cuttys everwhere, lots of Gen 1.5 Lumi's and montes...and plenty others!! (Including a pair of MINT SSEi Bonnevilles...one of em had the HUD...both of em had MINT tan leather on the insides)....so if anyone wants anything, I might be back there tomorrow or the next day, so definitely let me know, and give me an idea of how much you want to pay, and I'll see if I can figure out actual prices and get back you!!!

Thanks for your time!

YK

If you find any verts (probably not too likely) I need the passenger side window trim that goes between the door and the window. just a big long plastic piece :-) And if by chance a white top, with an intact back window with the canvas still connected, I'd really want that too, but definitely the trim.

If you find any verts (probably not too likely) I need the passenger side window trim that goes between the door and the window. just a big long plastic piece :-) And if by chance a white top, with an intact back window with the canvas still connected, I'd really want that too, but definitely the trim.

I too was looking for 'verts because I wanted to get a matched rear trim peice. (The black peice with the reverse lights)...i wanted to get one in red to match my car...but those are a rare find, those verts...nevertheless, i'll keep my eyes open.

YK

I'd definitely be interested in a DIC to fit on a Cutlass Supreme 1992. Would need the harness as well because, AFAIK, the 1992 models don't have the wiring.

The dash insert to accomodate/mount the DIS just below the cigarette lighter would also be highly desirable, grey or black coloured felt.

UB3 clusters, if you can find any, are worth pulling as well.

Let us know what you can do in particular, I am willing to paypal funds.

$30 for a DIS with dash insert and harness.

$20 for a digital UB3 configured for a floor-mount shifter (low km's if at all possible -- my '92 only has 100k on it right now).

Malibuolds- I think I might have seen one... I remember seeing a black sedan that looked exactly like my 91 but it was an International because it had the Body-colored grille.... so what's the part I'm looking for? black plastic GFX? I'll check it out today.

Pitzel - There were plenty of Grand Prix DICs but I'll have to look again for a Cutty DIS, I'm sure I could come up with one. I'm definitely sure I saw a few good UB3s, so I'll get back to you later tonight with prices.

I'm going to get showered and hit the yard!

Thanks

YK

Thanks dude, I went junkyarding too today. Found lots of DIS's, but they were all for Delta 88's/98's of the 1990-1994 vintage. Am hitting another junkyard this afternoon, looking for the upgraded rear brakes and the usual parts.

Found a UB3-like cluster for a 1990/1991 Delta 88 if anyone is interested. Getting it out could be very interesting though, not anywhere near as easy to dissassemble the dash on those.

Thanks dude, I went junkyarding too today. Found lots of DIS's, but they were all for Delta 88's/98's of the 1990-1994 vintage. Am hitting another junkyard this afternoon, looking for the upgraded rear brakes and the usual parts.

Found a UB3-like cluster for a 1990/1991 Delta 88 if anyone is interested. Getting it out could be very interesting though, not anywhere near as easy to dissassemble the dash on those.

If you notice any 94+ Grand Prixs or Cutlasses, could you see if they have leather seats? and possibly let me know?

Thanks?

BTW: What city are you in?

Moose Jaw, Sask. Only leather I saw this morning was in a Le Sabre, and damn were those seats in gorgeous shape.

Anyways, I'll keep a look out for them. Will be in Ontario in December, so if i see anything amazing....i got a digicam and your name'll be on 'em first. (though not holding out much hope -- even back in the early 90s, most of the models on the lots here were strippers -- thats what happens when you have a chronically depressed farming economy)

Guest TurboSedan
Malibuolds- I think I might have seen one... I remember seeing a black sedan that looked exactly like my 91 but it was an International because it had the Body-colored grille.... so what's the part I'm looking for? black plastic GFX? I'll check it out today.

it's the piece that runs along the bottom of both side doors from wheel well to wheel well. it's just a piece of black plastic that hangs down about 2" or so.

thanks

Guest Anonymous

Im looking for two things on the ssei's. I would like to know if they are floor/console shifted, and if they have aleather shifter boot. Should the boot be gray/charcoal, I would like that. And if you could get me an SSEi badge as a keepsake, I'd like one.

Do any of the GP's have 14 way front seats? If so, Id be interested in the upper console lid with cotrols and wiring if they are darker gray.

Im looking for two things on the ssei's. I would like to know if they are floor/console shifted, and if they have aleather shifter boot. Should the boot be gray/charcoal, I would like that. And if you could get me an SSEi badge as a keepsake, I'd like one.

Do any of the GP's have 14 way front seats? If so, Id be interested in the upper console lid with cotrols and wiring if they are darker gray.

The boots on the SSEis were both tan but I could probably find you a gray one, I'll grab an SSEi badge next time I go back there, and one of the GPs had the 14way front seat but the upper console lid was light gray... That same GP had light grey front and rear buckets, and one of the other ones had light gray LEATER front and rear buckets...a little old-school for my taste, and I think one of the rear buckets was missing a headrest. I wish I had a digital camera.

Malibuolds- The dude wouldn't let me go back in there but he said the car had the gfx and that he would charge me $125 CAD for both...i dunno if thats a good price or not so I told him I'd wait a day or two. How much do you want them for?

Pitzel- unfortunately I didn't find any Cutlass DIS's but plenty of Grand prix DICs like before...There weren't any un-damaged UB3 clusters either, I was rather disappointed at that.

To anyone else: There was a 94 Grand Prix GTP that had HUD if anyone wants a 94 GP HUD, I might be able to get it...the broken windsheild was kind of in the way, but I can ask if anyone wants it!!

EDIT: Also plenty of other badges that were in fair shape that I can remember...I was going to grab a GTP Grand Prix badge, but I then realized that I don't own a GTP Grand prix...

Thanks,

YK

Heh I'm back too. No luck at the other junkyards, other than getting to peer inside a few more early 90s-ish Grand Am's. We Cutlass Supreme owners complain of changing spark plugs, but I swear, the Grand Prix design with the 3.1 is even worse so far as fitting that engine into the engine compartment.

There's a couple more junkyards a bit further away I am going to check, so not totally giving up on this quite yet. I actually have a line on a UB3 cluster from another source, and finding a DIS isn't the most difficult thing in the world, albeit most of the ones I've seen are straight out of Delta 88's and 98's -- are these compatible, and just how is the Cutlass Supreme DIS mounted anyways?

Guest Anonymous

cool, SSEi badge and if you could find a GTP badge too. Long story. If you find a gray boot to fit the auto GP that would be great. how much are these things? if they arent alot like 10 each id really like them.

If you are going back...

Keep an eye open for a DIC out of a 1996 grand prix. I seriously doubt there will be one, but just incase...

also, I need the dash trim that goes around the stereo/climate controls as well as a knob for the heater controls.

All this if for a grand prix, i dunno if the interior is different depending on the years, but i have a b4u prix so if u can keep an eye open...

Guest TurboSedan

Malibuolds- The dude wouldn't let me go back in there but he said the car had the gfx and that he would charge me $125 CAD for both...i dunno if thats a good price or not so I told him I'd wait a day or two. How much do you want them for?

ouch, that's a little steep for me, i would probably only spend $50 on the pair. you could almost consider them more of a 'trim' piece than moulded gfx. thanks for checking tho!

OldsmoBeast, or anybody else going to the yard, i need this lower dash panel, the one around the DIS, in black/graphite

IMAG0012a.jpg

i won't pay more than $35 US shipped, as i can get it locally for that, which is too much imo.

also, were there any CS 5-spokes?

OldsmoBeast, or anybody else going to the yard, i need this lower dash panel, the one around the DIS, in black/graphite

IMAG0012a.jpg

i won't pay more than $35 US shipped, as i can get it locally for that, which is too much imo.

also, were there any CS 5-spokes?

They don't leave the wheels on the cars, but I'm sure I could find some...the prices on a lot of stuff here is rediculous now that I think about it.... i'll look into all that stuff...I know I won't find the lower dash panel, but I can check again anyway...

Cornerdealy- Theres 2 B4U Grand Prixs in the lot that I'm going back to AGAIN tomorrow (I'm grabbing Charcoal leather seats out of one of them), I know the one I'm scouring right now doesn't have the stuff you need but i'll check the other one...Might be hard to spot a 96 anything in this yard, most of the GPs seem like 94 and older...i'll check anyway. Oh and do you want the grey knobs with the reddish glow or the black knobs with blueish glow?

Petty- I can grab you the GTP Grand Prix badge, not a GTP Supercharged one, I hope thats what you mean, SSEi badge is no problem...as for the boot...i'm not sure what I'm looking for here...any boot? or one off a grand prix? I'm not sure what would fit either. Keep me posted...either way this stuff will be cheap. Guaranteed... i can probably get the GTP badge free...maybe...

EVERYONE- Okay...I have an issue.... i got all the seats off this grand prix except the drivers seat...i cut the wires (Before the plug so I don't have to splice later) close to the floor and hooked it up to a battery charger, moved it all the way forward and undid the back bolts, then moved it all the way backwards....came to unscrew the front bolts with my trusty 8mm socket...when the socket broke! Not only were the front ones RUSTED right on, but i managed to slightly round one of them!! Help?!

Thanks!

YK