TGP SWAP ... Looks like a Bad Turbo Oil Seal .....

Gearhead43

POSSIBLE FUEL PROBLEM?

I have pretty much eliminated a coolant leak...

However, The whitish-gray smoke appears to be Unburnt FUEL I was able to drive it today and It smoked the dammed Neighborhood up in ONE PASS.

I now have new Plugs, Plugwires, new O2 sensor, the Top Gun 160 Chip, the 160 T-stat, its still running rich like hell. Scan tool is showing RICH

The crossover was redone by the shop that did the swap so I have to rule that out unless its got a air leak?

What about a stuck open fuel injector....?? Would not show up on the Scan for OBD1 would it? It only shows the M/S Signal.

Any Ideas????

your MAP sensor is the 3 bar one correct? Did you do a 3.1 turbo swap or did you turbo an N/A 3.1? check for a vacuum leak hear the MAP sensor or God I hope you don't have blown head gaskets!

Oil return line? Don't tell me you used a old oil return line. Replace it if it is. When my oil return line was going..it emited whit smoke. Then after I have modified the engine a year leter...it went. I was on the highway and decited to hammer the car when a new dodge ram hemi truck was giving me hell.. As soon as I hammered it and passe his old slow ass up...the car smoked like a chimminy :shock: . I thought I blew the head gasket. Turned out to be the oil return line. I used a piece of pipe and two silicone hoses to eleminate "blistering" forever.

I was going to suggest the oil return line as well.

I know running rich from fuel is black smoke.. ask anyone who has been behind me when I floor it. :D

If it's running rich though, check the FPR. Pull off the rubber T going to it, connect a longer vacuum to the FPR vacuum and suck on it. If it holds vacuum, then it's good, if it doesn't, then it's bad.

Oil return line? Don't tell me you used a old oil return line. Replace it if it is. When my oil return line was going..it emited whit smoke. Then after I have modified the engine a year leter...it went. I was on the highway and decited to hammer the car when a new dodge ram hemi truck was giving me hell.. As soon as I hammered it and passe his old slow ass up...the car smoked like a chimminy :shock: . I thought I blew the head gasket. Turned out to be the oil return line. I used a piece of pipe and two silicone hoses to eleminate "blistering" forever.

That might be it.... white smoke OIL? I thought the classic Oil smoke was BLUE.. Ummm I think it's still got the old oil return .. Well that would not make it run rich....sooo.....ummmmm Maybe I got 2 problems?

:shock: :evil:

What kind and size pipe you use?

I used a 6in piece of 3/4 pipe. I just had to bend it a little to creat a almost stright S shape...or wave to alighn it to the oil pan pipe and turbo pipe. Then two pieces of 3/4 hose and 4 clamps. Leak free eversince. I did have a semilittle oil leak on the turbo turbine oil ring seal. It turned out that it had carbon behind the seal...keeping it from closing the gap..causing a little leak. I just cleaned it and reused it....this was before the oil return incident.

Running rich on thies TGPs is commen. It should be about 10.5:1 to 11:1 range on WOT. Starts at 12.5:1 at about 1200rpm on WOT..then as rpm rises..it goes all the way down to 10.5:1 at 6.5Krpm. Richer than 10:1 is a fuel problem to me. At idle...it should be around 15:1 to 13:1...depending on engine activity. Of course you won't know this unless you have a Wide band O2. Black smoke means too rich. Thats about 9.5:1 a/f ratio.

Did you use old TGP 22lbs injectors. They can leak...some can short from harmful fuel injector cleaners that eat away at the wirewound cores protective coat. Call Jeff or Parts stores for new ones. Some MPFI 350s had them too. Accel 24lbs injectors are good replacements.

After checking alot of stuff And Asking Jeff Alot of question about what he did.. I'm beginning to think the Turbo has a BAD OIL SEAL... I drove it for a shirt distance.. Smoked like HELL from 2 places, tail pipes and the rear of the turbo housing.... :shock: :(