Radio Problems

kfahn

Ok, I was drivin along, minding my own business, and suddenly, the radio goes out. I look down, confused, expecting it to be off, but it still show up as though it is on. I turn the volume up, and it's fine again. Five minutes later, this happens again. I turn the volume up, and it turns itself down as I am turning it up. It is now to the point that I cannot even turn it up fast enough to get it past a whisper before it turns itself all the way down again.

Any thoughts?

Ok, I was drivin along, minding my own business, and suddenly, the radio goes out. I look down, confused, expecting it to be off, but it still show up as though it is on. I turn the volume up, and it's fine again. Five minutes later, this happens again. I turn the volume up, and it turns itself down as I am turning it up. It is now to the point that I cannot even turn it up fast enough to get it past a whisper before it turns itself all the way down again.

Any thoughts?

Do you have steering wheel controls for your radio? Is it the stock radio?

Maybe a short in your steering wheel controls that is causing the button to stick progressively worse. Try disconnecting the wheel controls or a different head unit or something. Isolate the problem.

funny thing about it, is that I went back to the car, and ever since, it hasn't happened again/ I didn't do anything.

I guess that I am going to wait until it hapens again, and then disconnect the controls!

Here's where you disconnect the RSWC (Redundant Steering Wheel Controls) :

column7.jpg

This is directly under the steering column. Click on the link above my sig pic for more details...

thank you, I didn't realize that I would disconnect them that way. I was just going to uplg them in the wheel!
You're welcome. I've kinda become the expert around here regarding the 94-Up steering columns :wink: . This method saves you the trouble of de-energizing the airbag system and removing the airbag itself (there is another plug for the RSWC underneath the airbag...)