Quality time beneath the GP today

whiteSE

Well, I am beat. I just spent the last 5 hours elbow deep above and below my GP. There had been a puddle beneath it wherever I parked it. I thought it might an oil leak but the level wasn't changing - the transmission fluid however was.

So today I decided to change the tranny fluid and see what was going on. First off, half the bolts came out without any effort at all!! It barely had 3litres of fluid in it in total - half of the recommended.

So far, it doesn't seem to be leaking anything anymore - so cross your fingers for me.

Then, I replaced the upper engine mounts which were totally shot.

Well, my back is stiff and my neck is sore but hopefully the mechanical future of my GP looks better.

Phil

I remember dropping my pan last year and feeling stiff after I was done, heck your on your back stretching to get all those suckers loose. Then you have to deal with the damn mess when its all said and done.

i did a tranny filter job on my car, also switched the old pan with a new pan i found at a JY, also gasket. Just emagine what i went through lol. only like 2 weeks later the dam tranny was rebuilt n everything, waste of time!!!

oh well. thats my cutlass for yah

So today I decided to change the tranny fluid and see what was going on. First off, half the bolts came out without any effort at all!! It barely had 3litres of fluid in it in total - half of the recommended.

So far, it doesn't seem to be leaking anything anymore - so cross your fingers for me.

As long as you used a good rubber gasket (NAPA) or a GM replacement then you should be fine. If you used a cork gasket it will probably leak a little..

Well, so far the leak appears to have stopped. She's parked on the street right now with a carpet beneath to check for leaks. I really hope the leak is gone because it made a DAMN mess in the driveway and on the street in front of my house.

BTW, it was one of those cork gaskets but it was a GM approved replacement part so I suspect it will be OK.

Still crossing my fingers that she doeasn't leak.

Phil

BTW: My upper back hurts like hell from laying on the ground. Work is going to be fun this week!!

Well, so far the leak appears to have stopped. She's parked on the street right now with a carpet beneath to check for leaks. I really hope the leak is gone because it made a DAMN mess in the driveway and on the street in front of my house.

BTW, it was one of those cork gaskets but it was a GM approved replacement part so I suspect it will be OK.

Still crossing my fingers that she doeasn't leak.

Phil

BTW: My upper back hurts like hell from laying on the ground. Work is going to be fun this week!!

Ther is a bolt in the top corner that you are supposed to Loctite so that it does not come loose and leak around it. Did you Loctite it? My Lumina was leaking, so I decided to change the fluid, filter and gasket. The book said to be sure to apply Loctite to the bolt or it would leak. That is where it was leaking from on this car. I was able to tell that someone had some work done at a Firestone store, and they never locked the bolt. I suppose they did not know to do it.

The manual I had was from 1988 t 1996, and made no distinction between servicing the different years on this particular subject. It may not leak now, but if it was not locked, it may in the future.

Just a heads up. Hope it helps!