Newbie -- Looking at my first w-body

Bullitt

Hey I am new here and I am looking at getting a 92 Olds Cutlass Supreme with the 3.4L, it is in near mint condition and fairly inexpensive for a Canadian car.

Is there anyhting I should look at when I go and test drive this thing ??

I have read that I should stay away from the 3.4L unless Ilike doing a lot of my own work.

I owned a 95 Taurus SHO with a 5 spd, so I am used to impossible cars to work on, I really like the looks and the sleeper attitude that comes with one of these.

it has 170,000 kms

went and saw it today without hte test drive as he is out of town.

It has a couple small patches of rust on the passenger door, leather interior, burgandy exterior, it needs a new set of fog lights, and a new set of tires before winter.

In Alberta here, especially in Calgary, we love to put a TON of salt down in the winter, so it isn't to bad for rust.

It also needs the hood repainted and he put some protective adhesive plastic over all the lights and that stuff needs to come off and be replaced.

A couple small things I also noticed were the fact the power antenna is snapped off.

These are all things I can deal with and I can use to negotiate the price, but I do like the interior and the HUD and the fact that it doesn't have a digital dash.

Under body wise Isaw a little seeping from the oil pan, but it does not look too serious, but the rest does look good, (exhaust, etc.)

I really like the outside with the recessed lights and the whole package, I just came outta 85 Toyota Supra that had 160 hp, I need something that has some go to it and doesn't have everyone want to race you at every light.

He is asking $3499 CDN for it, but I think I can get him down below $3000 CDN.

Hey Bullitt,

Noticed you are located in Calgary, me to! Keep your eyes peeled for an White 89 Cutlass Int'l with newer cutty 5 spokes on it, cause that's my ride. Good luck with your purchase.

Mike

yeah never heard of them being called pizza pans before :lol: Sounds like it could be driven down to at or below 3000 CAD. just mention everything bad you noticed about it, and that might help you lower the price. get some pics up if you can!

is there any exterior rust?

cause then it would be mint?

but eh, i would rather have the anolog, dash, digi dashes don't appeal to me in any-way.

It has a couple small patches of rust on the passenger door

Own3d!!!! Well maybe not, but i have to get you back somehow!

92 is a getting older..

Try to talk him down to $2500. $3000 would be good if its in really really good shape.

I just paid $2000 (+$300 tax from the stealership) for my '95, plus add about $1000 for all the work to get it safetied. ($3200 or so and its a couple years newer than that car).

is there any exterior rust?

cause then it would be mint?

but eh, i would rather have the anolog, dash, digi dashes don't appeal to me in any-way.

It has a couple small patches of rust on the passenger door

Own3d!!!! Well maybe not, but i have to get you back somehow!

Just to add to the effect

fbd9d773.jpg

I don't know, I don't think some patches of rust would have to do much to the drivetrain. What you could do if you can't get him to lower the price, leave him saying you won't take it for that much, look around for another one somewhere else, then come back a few weeks to a month later (if you haven't found another one). Chances are, he will have lowered the price.

Korey

I don't know, I don't think some patches of rust would have to do much to the drivetrain.

Korey

I was just making the general statement that it in most cases if people don't take care of the exterior of a car, they don't take care of it mechanically either....

I was just making the general statement that it in most cases if people don't take care of the exterior of a car, they don't take care of it mechanically either....

Good point, I agree.

Korey

I would really love to leave it a month to find a vehicle, however, I am off work right now until next Monday and I have absolutely no wheels to get around, my wife needs her car to get to work and I need a car to get to work, if it isn't mechanically sound, I will have to venture to other areas of Alberta to search for a car this weekend, I absolutely need something come Monday.

Haha, well, that just kills my idea :D Then start negotiating, take it for a test drive, go over it with a careful eye, maybe even see if you can take it for an hour to get looked over by a mechanic (I've done that quite a few times). If you need one that quick, then go for it, you prolly will have to pay a little more, but if you think it's mechanically sound and such, buy it. Body work can always be done when you have the time (just do it before they pour salt all over the road, b/c if you leave it rusty and that happens, that hole will get bigger over the winter). Best of luck to ye.

Korey :cheers:

Also, Don't let Jeremy's comment scare you, that's just in SOME cases, sometimes bodywork (rust, etc.) is hard to control, even if it's mechanically sound and the guy took care of it. Especially in Canada, I believe.

I would try to talk him down to about 2200 USD or lower maybe. Unless everything else is in PERFECT condition, that's all it's worth, in my opinion. Print out some stats and maybe even the http://www.consumerguide.com review of the car, they have a little handy price guide for the condition of the car. It's a little vague, but it does the job. I'll get you the URL... http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/used/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/2085 That's for a Cutlass Supreme.

Korey

here is a link to the car, I passed it up, he has had it nine years and never done any major maintenance to it, the AC doesn't work, the sunroof doesn't open the controls for the lumbar don't all work ,the car "surges" at idle.

I have found a 92 GTP with a 3.4L 5spd I am drooling on now

link to the cuttie

http://www.canadatrader.com/trader/result/affich.asp?rubno=4000&r=%27ALB%27%2C%27EDM%27%2C%27CAL%27&ste=&sid=EMPPF2200491410&issr=1&yfr=0&yto=0&kfr=0&kto=0&pfr=2000&pto=5000&dm=1&dp=4&mk=OLDSMOBILE&md=&kw=&or=0&oby=7&pg=11&vid=185329

link to the GTP

http://www.canadatrader.com/trader/result/affich.asp?rubno=4000&r=%27ALB%27%2C%27EDM%27%2C%27CAL%27&ste=&sid=EMPPF2200491410&issr=1&yfr=0&yto=0&kfr=0&kto=0&pfr=2000&pto=9000&dm=1&dp=4&mk=PONTIAC&md=&kw=gtp&or=0&oby=7&pg=1&vid=191971

don't know what 5 and a half grand converts over to USA $, but i wouldn't pay more than 2 grand US for that GTP

with either car, don't be surprised if the brakes totally blow. brake jobs on first gen w-'s are almost as frequent as oil changes.

rotors warp easy, the rear calipers freeze up, and there is no brake effect for about the first inch and a half of brake pedal travel.