Daytime Running Light wiring

pitzel

Hello everyone,

1992 Cutlass Supreme 3.1, 3rd owner. Since my car was bought in Canada, it was equipped with Daytime Running Lights, and is also equipped with the special light sensor in the dash right by the driver-side speaker.

Ever since the 2nd owner acquired the car, the behaviour of the lighting system has been that the lights are turned on at startup at full beams, ie: whenever the key is in the 'run' position.

Would this sort of behaviour indicate a faulty relay, DRL module, or is it possible that DRL's were disabled in this car somehow? The underdash seems to have a significant amount of electrical tape around its wiring and some wire splices here and there -- was it 'usual' for the factory to use electrical tape on its wiring bundles?

Thanks. If anyone can explain the operation of the headlight system to me, that would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the site. I had a 96 that did the same thing, headlights were on full all the time. I pulled the drl fuse and just went to manual headlights. I did read somewhere about widening the light sensor hole a little. I'll look for the article.

Thanks for the welcome! Ppl here have been lots of help, esp. with my replacement of the oil pump drive seal yesterday.

I can also add that the procedure of stomping on the e-brake before startup, and then starting keeps the headlights off. So that to me would indicate that someone hasn't merely gone and jerry-rigged the headlights to remain permanently-on.

I am going to try using some compressed air on the sensor, but definitely would appreciate anything else you can offer. Would a service manual contain wiring schematics for the overall headlight system, including the relays and the inputs?

(anyone mind sending me a scan of that schematic if it exists?)

I bet if you widen that hole it will work alot better. My gtp works really good and the lights don't turn on until it gets pretty dark.

Think a very strong source of illumination would give me a way to test this theory before i actually go ahead and do it?

Check out this site:

http://www.easyperformance.com/

Click on "Products." Way on the bottom, click on "GM Headlight Sens." It's a product that allows you to control the sensitivity of the ambient light sensor, and also disable the auto headlight control...

They also have a product that allows you to disable the DRL's...