The Best Headgaskets for the TGP's....

Gearhead43

Yup......Dealer stuff all the way
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Todd,

They are not the correct thickness for the LG5. Using a thinner gasket set will rasie the compression ratio some. And could cause your KR ratings to go UP..

Felpro crushed and removed are within.002 to .004 +/-of GM gaskets crushed and removed. Don't know where you got that from. Obviously you haven't measured both of them after installation. :roll:

Where do you guys get this BS. :?:

Felpro and torque them to 80# and you will be good to go with 12-14# of real boost not T25 boost.

Jud

Jud

Felpro and torque them to 80# and you will be good to go with 12-14# of real boost not T25 boost.

from Jeff M.....

"Also remember over the years past work done to your TGP may have changed some things/heads, seems pretty easy to mix things up here if the mechanic did not have all the info he needed. Last, do not use the FelPro Performance Head Gasket 1029, too thin and will raise the compression ratio! "

That's where I get it.....

from Jeff M.....

"Also remember over the years past work done to your TGP may have changed some things/heads, seems pretty easy to mix things up here if the mechanic did not have all the info he needed. Last, do not use the FelPro Performance Head Gasket 1029, too thin and will raise the compression ratio! "

That's where I get it.....

Well than your dummmer than I thought. Would you jump oft the clif if he told you to? Try and buy that gasket. I have never been able to find it.

I suspect its the shim that Felpro offers but to be honest I am not going to take the time to look it up. You could have done that. The Felpro # of the last 4 or 5 reciepts is 947 or something like that. If thats the shim he's talking about than Jeff M is correct don't use it or it's for an N/A engine.

Again do your research before you speak or quote. :evil:

Jud

Would you jump oft the clif if he told you to?

Jud

:willynilly:

:leaving:

I used the Fel-Pro gaskets listed in Fel-Pro's book (sorry don't know the p/n) on two Turbo GP cars and have not head a peep out of either owner saying they are getting knock or gasket failure because of any issue with the Fel-Pro gaskets. Considering the stock gaskets that came out looking like they had weak cylinder ring seal surfaces...I would lean more towards the Fel-Pro gaskets anyway... 8)

I did some research JUDDY... and your your Information.. Felpro # is 9471... Listed as the SAME # for BOTH the 3.1 NA and the 3.1 Turbo....

Since the 3.1 N/A is more common than the 3.1 Turbo, Don't you think Felpro didn't realize the GM Specs for the Turbo would be different? Felpro is the one that didn't do their homework buddy.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I also have the GM parts books and service manuals for the GP's. I have looked up the GM P/N's for both 3.1 N/As and 3.1 Turbos.. While the lower intake gaskets are the SamE P/N's, the headgaskets ARE NOT.

Now, what I still trying to find out is HOW MUCH thicker the Turbo Gaskets are than the non-Turbo Applications. I've heard something like .1" But I have not verified THAT. And also, Jeff wasn't the ONLY one that has said that. Others have. I only quoted him because I knew were to find the "QUOTE"

Lastly, I can rest assured it's not my headgasket, compression test revealed that. No coolant loss. It's Grayish-white smoke and that is Unburnt fuel being dumped into the Exhaust.. The motor still has the OEM Chip and O2 sensor on it.. So it could be either... Or a fuel injector stuck, or MAP... That is something to diagnose with the scantool to eliminate a host of other potental causes.

To clear this mess up :roll:

FelPro Performance Head Gaskets part number 1029 which has a copper fire wire added over their OEM stuff is thinner than the stock OEM head gasket and cannot be used unless you drop the compression ratio by other means (lower compression pistons etc).

FelPro OEM head gasket replacement 9471PT is the same as the OEM gasket on our cars and is much better priced verses the OEM.

FelPro part number 8699SP1 is their head gasket shim made of copper, indicated as an Engine Saver intended to make up for the meat/metal lost after too many head and/or block deck resurfacings, could be used to lower compression if you know what you are doing.

Last as for part numbers, FelPro also has a Severe Duty head gasket 513SD for the 3.1 and is on order so I can check the fitment and thickness for recommended usage in our engines.

As for SleeperRed90TGP, ease up on calling people dummies, asking is what learning is all about :lol: and actually their statements are correct, as for yours :P close enough, the full part numbers for the correct FelPros are listed above (“947 or something like thatâ€Â) and the shim can be used on any engine if you know what you are doing and shooting for, also I have bought a few 1029 so don't know why you could not find them, and last, what’s this "torque them to 80#" statement, surely not the OEM or FelPro stretch-to-yields? or even the ARP studs as those state 75 for iron heads, 65 for aluminum heads :wink:

Later (might be much later, just taking a smoke break on the PC :lol: )

Jeff M

• 2 weeks later...

Well Davey boy I guess that felpro did there homework. :wink: Looks like that we have several gaskets for our motors. Unfortunately the .080 or .085 gasket that Jeff M mentioned in a prior post (which i can't find :?: )is missing I would like to get a hold of those. :(

I apologize for the term dummies. :oops: You guys want info and I just got pissed off about this myth of the .1 head gasket thickness. And also the .1 deck high, that supposedly knowledgeable people have propagated for years because they/he didn’t know any better.

Jeff what are you saying surely not 80#. Either you don’t believe me, or your saying it can’t be done or you want to know how to do it. Which :?:

Obviously you have never used the oldest hot rod trick of over tightening the head bolts.. The trick is to put more torque on the head bolts if they will take it therefore increasing the clamp force therefore helping to hold the head on and not blowing your gasket. All bolts are stretch to length, how far you stretch them I guess depends on your balls and if you know what your doing. :D And yea I use old stock bolts over once, just tighten them more.

Oh Jeff I did finally find the 1029 gasket. Application 2.8, thanks, and for $50 I’ll use the felpro.

I am the original owner and the only thing I have had repaired is the transmission. That’s why I asked you the question about clutches in my response to your pm to me on how to install a roller cam. Thanks again for nothing. :evil:

I guess I better shut this thing off for a while so it will stand up to my nest post. Just got it cleand out from a ton of shit. Keep tuned. :lol:

Jud

thanks for all the help guys. turns out i have the 4791pt gaskets so im safe. it was entertaining listening though.

Ihope you got the 9471PT gasket. Easy to transpose numbers. For All I know that gasket could fit a lawn mower. :lol:

Stick around it may get more entertaining.

Jud

I've got the Felpro gaskets, my heads were shaved, and they are torqued to 80 ft/lbs with ARP studs. My car runs up to 14 PSI on 93 octane pump gas with no readable knock on my logs. Now, if I drop in some 89, it pings like crazy.