cutlass (and poss. grand prix) armrest fix...

godofthunder

Hey yall...

All of us have the newer armrests, has yours broken yet? These things are like $100 online, and a rare find to get one still in shape at the yards.

Well...my bro is a Mech. Eng major...and works at a lab at school. Hes somehwhat helping teach a CAD class.

Tonight, he made me a new version of the bracket for the armrest. It has been beefed up in some areas, and matched to the needed dimensions. he designed it for practice for this stuff.

He has acces to a CNC machine (i think thats it). Where he can feed this file, and then have it made out of any material. He said they can make block alum ones, but not sure if he can get on that machine. He then said that he is pretty sure he can get access to the plastic one, and use some ABS plastic.

He gave me this pic to show you now...

bracket.png

Hes making me a tech drawing to post soon too.

So, what im asking, would anyone be interested in one of these? We would sell them for a few bucks to cover materials, shipping, and a little labor, but as cheap as possible.

Or, if anyone has access to one of these machines, we could possibly send you this file. Hes doing some final editing now, fixing some new things on it.

jon[/img]

mkay there's just one ever so slight design flaw: The hinge that is shown is one piece with the entire lower half of the armrest (the black part)

I have fixed mine and it is literally a 5 minute job, and no I'm not talking any kind of glue. :roll:

It was only a problem on 94+ Grand Prix and Cutlass (I think thats all) much different console design then the older ones.
My Regal has the same console as the GP's and Cuttys, BTW. The only difference is the upper half, but the lower half and the armrest are the same...

Mine hasn't broken yet, but if the price was right (maybe less than $25) I'd get one to have on hand for when mine finally does break...

you can fix them by taking some expoxy, and putting them back together. Then, I also have 2 peices of steel to drill into both sides, and attach a screw, on both broken peices. Holds it together. I have those peieces of metal arround too. I ended up finding a good one and used the good one on my car.

I actually asked my brother to design something to hold a broken one together, rather than a current one. He should get back to me soon on it. Like, he would make this bracket to screw into the broken peices.

jon

I have fixed mine and it is literally a 5 minute job, and no I'm not talking any kind of glue. :roll:

How did you fix it? Tell me or I'll break into your car and look. :lol:

I'll get pics soon, just remind me if I dont by tomorrow