Check out this site

94CutlassSLCoupe

http://www.gm-v6lemons.com/index.html

They are calling the 3100 and 3400 engines lemons!!! If you read this, you'll be amazed...

It seems to me that none of these people service their own cars! I agree that Dex Cool = Shit but that doesn't make the engine junk. Somehow its GM's problem that these people are somehow loosing coolant which is not leaking onto the ground and they don't do anything about it until its broken.

I will change ANY coolant at 2 years or 30,000 mile intervals. I personally only use prestone.

I think the 3100 is a great engine (haven't had a 3400) that will run practically forever. The only problem i have really seen that is a big deal is the piston slap. some engines have it, some dont...i know the 4t60-e is known for making a tapping noise at startup also.

Rant off

i haven't even been a member of this site for a month...so obviously i probably didn't see it before.

Just get that dexcool shit outta your vehicle at 2 years of 30,000 miles and keep an eye on your temp guage and coolant level and you should be just fine, IMO. Intake gaskets usually give plenty of warning.

Looks like when the 3100 got the redesigned intake or whatever (175HP vs. 160 on the older engine) is when they got the problem, so I don't think I have to worry too much. I also flushed the hell out of my system (I think it originally had dexcool (when I got it was dirty green) and I put in clean Prestone.

the gasket design was the same from 94-02 except the roller rocker cars got the integrated pushrod guides. '93-95 3100's don't seem to blow the intake gaskets because they used green coolant, dexcool didnt come out till '96. If your coolant resevoir cap has green letters, your car came with regular coolant. Orange letters = dexcool. The previous owner of my car had it converted to dexcool, I flushed it out and filled with green THE DAY I drove it off the lot. Keeping dexcool in for its supposed 5 years is what eats the gaskets as well as hoses etc.

Dex-cool is much better than the green shit. I don't believe the anti Dex-cool hype. Prestone green shit killed my head gaskets even though I flushed it annually. I don't know if it's due to green shit in general, or Prestone, but on my cars that still use the green shit, I now use SuperTech brand.

My 94 3.4 DOHC still killed its intake gaskets and it uses green shit.

The reason these cars blow intake gaskets is because it's the crappy plastic + rubber intake gaskets. Just about all GM engines using these gaskets had a predisposition to leakage (air, coolant, and otherwise). Only connection between Dex-cool and intake gasket leaks is because GM started using this type intake gasket in most of their engines near the time they started using Dex-cool.