plans ... yikes

cryptnix

i figure what the hell ... I was wondering if the spare tire area's "hump" played any role in holding the car togeather? Stupid question?

Well, I was planning on getting rid of it so I'd have a better choice of mufflers ...and not only that a sleeker underbody look (imho) ...

just figured on putting sheets of metal in its place ...

i'm sure i'm going to get reemed for this one ...

I know it's not a W-Body, but I seem to remember watching an episode of Horsepower TV once where they cut out the spare tire "trough" on a 67 Barracuda to mount a fuel cell. They installed a flat piece of sheet aluminum and screwed it to the trunk floor instead of welding in a new sheet of steel (I guess they wanted to be able to remove the plate in the future.) So it sounds doable on a W...

The pans design adds structural rigidity to the rear of the car. Not to mention cutting a gaping hole in a unibody is always a bad idea.

If he were to weld in a thick enough, round block of metal in place of the hole, wouldn't it sort of even things out? It might be heavy, but at least it would be strong...

The pans design adds structural rigidity to the rear of the car. Not to mention cutting a gaping hole in a unibody is always a bad idea.

The reason the pan adds strength is because of the curvature. Curved pieces, bends, and grooves are generally the strongest points of a piece of work. Straight pieces are actually the weak points.

If you do decide to get rid of the pan, add grooves to the piece of metal that you plan to use to fill the spot. Also, weld it in, don't bolt it in.

Well, I got the answer that I wanted ...

Next I want to know if putting two square tubing would take care of its "hump", this will also allow me to weld lets say an 80 series flowmaster (AN EXAMPLE please don't get on me about it please. i know you guys all to well now :lol: )

tia

Well, I got the answer that I wanted ...

Next I want to know if putting two square tubing would take care of its "hump", this will also allow me to weld lets say an 80 series flowmaster (AN EXAMPLE please don't get on me about it please. i know you guys all to well now :lol: )

tia

Unless you run those square pieces of tubing some length of the car, whether it be width wise or length wise, it will have no effect except adding unneccessary weight to an allready heavy vehicle. Just add grooves to the piece of metal you plan to use to cover the spot.

Heres another stupid idea, courtesy of another canadian member... How about you weld the donut trough in upside down? I realize it would eat up your whole trunk but it could be useful...somehow...I've yet to figure out how...

Better get runflats!

Also consider that such a modification will de-value your car to where it's only good for parts if you should ever decide to sell it. No buyer would touch it with a 10ft pole, so you better be sure this is the car you want to keep, and wouldn't mind just throwing it away when you decide you don't want it anymore.

A buddy of mine is doing this also; we were thinking of how to add some of the structural integrity back to the rear end and came up with the grooved metal sheet, with cross braces. He is using that space for his air bag compressor and lines. Good idea? Yes, can we do a half ass job? Nope, actually have to make it a quality job.