STE good deal?

GPdriver1986

I was looking at a 93 STE at a local wreckers, its burgandy, loaded except for HUD. It has 165k miles on it and its a 3.4. It looks well maintained and theres no rust underneath. He wants 1200$ for it. Is this a good deal? and not too much miles on the 3.4?

I bought my GP from him, it had a clear title, it had new tires, alternator, gas tank, coolant pipes, battery, and someother stuff, it costed me 750$ CAN.

I really like STE's but I'm sorta scared about the 3.4 DOHC with so many km's. I have read all the horror stories about the 3.4, timing belt and alternator and other things that this engine is nutorius for. I wish this STE was a 3.1. Any comments guys?

well root around in it and see if any service recipts are there for it, also pull the timeing belt inspection cover and see what shape its in.

the 3.4 isan't that bad, i know someone on here has a 3.4 with 231k

don't fear it its not as horrable as everyone thinks it is

I really like STE's but I'm sorta scared about the 3.4 DOHC with so many km's. I have read all the horror stories about the 3.4, timing belt and alternator and other things that this engine is nutorius for. I wish this STE was a 3.1. Any comments guys?

Yeah...stop whining and buy the car. Oh, and the next person to ask about buying a kick ass, rare, and fully loaded sub $1000 w-body is going to be known as the official forum window licker.

In all seriousness though, 165,000 km doesnt sound too bad, thats around 100,000 miles right? I wouldn't worry about it.

I have an 89 TGP with 237K miles, still orignal motor and turbo which run great, no rust, and everything works but the left turn signal for some reason (switch?).

Yeah, I paid $1000, even with the mileage, and am loving every minute of it.

Guest Anonymous

the 3.4 isan't that bad, i know someone on here has a 3.4 with 231k

don't fear it its not as horrable as everyone thinks it is

3.4= :fruity:

tooo high maintainence for the mechanically declined. Its too fickle and finicky, obscure and unreliable, it likes blown headgaskets with its bent timing belt pulleys.

listen its not the engines fault whoever changed the timeing blet last didn't replace the pulleys and its not the engines fault that the last owner drove it for 3 years on a blown headgasket, obscure, yes, finicky, yes, unrelyable, i think not

Whiteout, the STE has 165 000 miles on it , thats 250 000km.

Opps...I misread the 165k as meaning 165 km. Even so if the thing has been taken care it should be fine. If not, its still a $1000 car you can drive for a while then part out for more than you paid later on.

Oh, and any moron can own and repair a 3.4 DOHC as long as they're patient. I'm a prime example. No previous mechanical experience and I now do everything on my car. I've done intake gaskets, the o-ring drive seal, alternator, brakes, and all the regular maintenance stuff. I'll be tackling the timing belt later this month.

Damn window lickers.

Oh, and any moron can own and repair a 3.4 DOHC as long as they're patient. I'm a prime example. No previous mechanical experience and I now do everything on my car. I've done intake gaskets, the o-ring drive seal, alternator, brakes, and all the regular maintenance stuff. I'll be tackling the timing belt later this month.

Werd, kinda. I don't have much mechanical experience working on cars. I'm pretty much self taught, because my dad didn't work on his cars only until a few years ago, so we both have been learning(me on a much much faster rate though :D ). Anyways, when it comes time to work on this 3.4 DOHC, I'll gladly work on it. I know it may be a pain at times, but I really don't care. I'm ready to really get into the guts of an engine, not just the bolt on crap.