Please help me get my car started. It's an emergency!

Speckkial

I have a 93 CS 3.1 MFI. My car was broken into Sunday night and I need to get it to the auto glass shop before 4 p.m. I live right off a major expressway and there are parking restrictions on each side of the street. I have to have my car moved from the side of the street I'm on but it won't start. This is a ongoing problem. Sometimes It'll take about three turns of the key to get it started but today it won't start at all. The battery is new. When I turn I can here the clicking noise but it won't start. I don't think it's the battery because everything power in the car comes on. Nothing under the car is leaking. Once I have the key in the on position, the "check gages" and "service engine soon" lights come on. But I think that's because the car hasn't started because it won't. I'm very distraught and I know next to nothing about cars and I don't know anyone who can look at it from where I'm at. Could be a short somewhere? Sometimes it won't start, I'll open and close a door and then it'll start. It was working fine yesterday. Someone please help!

I just talked to my cousin who works at SEARS and she just told me to lightly tap the starter with a hammer. Now my problem is, where is the starter? And how do I distinguish it from anything under the car. She told me it was under the car, it's cylinder shaped, and I would need someone to turn the key while I tapped on it. Everything looks cylinder shaped. Exact location would help very much.

you can give it a harder tap....its ok. I just bitch slap my every now and then, show it whos boss...

you dont have to have someone turn the key at the same time. Tap it, turn the key. Tap it, turn the key

what your doing is slightly knocking the electric motor, so it can try to get some current from the batyter and turn on its own, then turning the motor. If this is the first time, itll be pretty easier.

IIRC...atleast on my 3100...its almost dead center front of the car. Its two parts, a big cylynder, with a smaller one. The larger is on the botom, and that usu. works for me.

jon

you can give it a harder tap....its ok. I just bitch slap my every now and then, show it whos boss...

you dont have to have someone turn the key at the same time. Tap it, turn the key. Tap it, turn the key

what your doing is slightly knocking the electric motor, so it can try to get some current from the batyter and turn on its own, then turning the motor. If this is the first time, itll be pretty easier.

IIRC...atleast on my 3100...its almost dead center front of the car. Its two parts, a big cylynder, with a smaller one. The larger is on the botom, and that usu. works for me.

jon

....what he said....

pop the hood.. looks straight down in front of the block, behind the fans. the filter will stand out cause of it's color, starters right next to it.

O.K. Jeremy. Now how does that relate to location under the front end of my car. Please excuse me for being slow and dumb, I'm usually not this stupid.

see the post right above your last one that I am sure was posted while you were typing....

....no problem with all the questions at least you are out trying to do something to your car, instead of just complaining that it doesn't run like some people on here....

good luck

O.K. I'm back from outside, under my car. Now there are two big black cylinders next to the oil filter. If your're sitting in the driver's seat, one is on the left and one is on the right. I tried tapping both while my brother turned the key and nothing happened. Now which one of these cylinders is the starter and where should I tap it? (at either end, in the middle, etc.)

I think you should try moving the shift lever into Neutral and try starting it. I remember my wife's old Cavalier doing the same thing from time to time where it would click but not turn over. You had to shift into Neutral or back into Park again to get it to start.

The battery cables on your car sound like they're shot. If they're old, then they're most likely corroded on the inside and not allowing the current through that's needed to rotate the starter (the cables are acting like a gigantic resistor actually...) All of your accessories will work just fine because they draw so little amperage, and the old worn out cables can handle the draw...

here is the latest pic he sent me

08-31-04_1038.jpg

That looks like the AC compressor! Don't whack that with a hammer!!! If that's what you're looking at smacking, be sure you don't see a pulley attached to the other side with the serpentine belt wrapped around it. The starter's more towards the middle of the block, not towards the front passenger side...

08-31-04_0925.jpg

Look for the black, cylindrical "thing" in the upper right conrer of this picture, that's the starter...