Driver information System in '94 Cutlass 3100

94CutlassSLCoupe

If I wanted to do it, I'd try finding a bigger console from another vehicle. Like a Chrysler, they have bigger openings. I don't know how you'd go about separating the screen from the buttons since they'rte on the same front circuit board.

Guest Anonymous

i was under the understanding that they were seperateable. But in the case of finding a bigger console/opening, Id leave the unit in one piece if possible.

it's a theory, but the slope of the top of the console (and the roof) prevents it from being mounted on that angle. At least to have the display in that spot on that console.

Back to the original topic...

The AVG SPEED and all the time-based stuff will definitely work.

Fuel stuff doesn't work on my 3.4 DOHC which uses a P4 PCM that is much more similar to an 88-93 ECM than the one used on the 3100 (a P6 PCM with flash ROM). I will venture a guess to say that the fuel stuff will not work on a 3100. The Gauges feature works great on my 94 3.4, but since it reads all that from the ALDL, I kind of doubt those things will work on a 3100. The ALDL data stream from the 94 3.4 DOHC actually has the spaces for the fuel economy data, it's just filled with 00's or 80's (I can't remember which). It looks like an unused dataspace as though the subroutine in the MEMCAL that calculates fuel data and plugs it into those locations is just being bypassed.

while we're sort of on this topic..

just yesterday my instant fuel economy stopped functioning. it shows 80 if i'm moving and 0 if I'm stopped.. nothing in between. fuel consumption, average economy, and all other functions still work perfectly. I'll check wires at some point but it doesn't make sense that only that particular function wouldn't display properly anymore.

any ideas?

while we're sort of on this topic..

just yesterday my instant fuel economy stopped functioning. it shows 80 if i'm moving and 0 if I'm stopped.. nothing in between. fuel consumption, average economy, and all other functions still work perfectly. I'll check wires at some point but it doesn't make sense that only that particular function wouldn't display properly anymore.

any ideas?

maybe it's getting old

sometimes mine will freeze up, the display won't change from one function to another. maybe i'm pressing more than one button or something by accident

i know mine is wired right too.

my freezes up sometimes too... it's happaned maybe like 5 times since I've gotten it. last no more than like 30 seconds though.

mine stays locked up

i have to shut the car off, and then re-start it for it to work normally again.