Driver information System in '94 Cutlass 3100

94CutlassSLCoupe

While i was at my local junkyard (in PA) last saturday getting a new ashtray unit for my cutlass (mine wouldn't latch), I found a DIS in a '90 Cutlass 4-door with a BENCH SEAT! So, of course I took it. After doing a little reading on this topic, I noticed that there is lots of questions with the 3100's computer communicating with the DIS.

What (if anything) will work if I wired this into my 3100 Cutlass. If any of you have done it, I would like to know if any of the wire colors changed verses the '93-down cars.

I know that there was at one time, 2 cars with the UB3 cluster, but it started pouring soon after i got the stuff i needed (and the dis) so i got the hell outta there. I probably won't put a UB3 cluster in my car, but I would grab them since they seem to be hard to find.

Thanks for any help!

you're not going to get much, if any, accurate readings. Best to just have it for the clock, calendar, grettings, and timer. Average speed MIGHT work, and fuel range may change readings but won't ever be accurate. I'm going to give it a try one day, I have the same pcm as you.

Guest Anonymous

will the DIS work in a 92 3.4 (GP)? *overhead console idea*

when i get my car on the road, I'd like the DIS in there too. Maybe even a UB3 if i've gone that crazy by then.

I really have a hard time understanding why most of this stuff wouldn't work. If it runs of the signal for the dashboard (at least most things), it should work because the 93 and 94 dashes are identical (92 is also the same but has a real oil pressure guage).

But like i say...i didn't even know these things existed until i started coming to this site

Guest Anonymous

Well as long as I get the greetings and such I'll be happy and it lights up, the DIC will give me the fuel stuff.

I would need to see a UB3 in person to make a decision if I want that too.

Oh yeah...the same cutlass that i got the dis from has a base cluster (weird), rear fold down seat (blue), steering wheel controls (non airbag, also blue), and the auto climate control.

I will definately look for the UB3 cluster next time i'm there.

I really have a hard time understanding why most of this stuff wouldn't work. If it runs of the signal for the dashboard (at least most things), it should work because the 93 and 94 dashes are identical (92 is also the same but has a real oil pressure guage).

'94 (aka the bastard year) isn't the same. It runs on a different puter system, known as OBD 1.5, so the data stream info isn't the same. at least not for fuel and such.

Do let us know if you pick up those UB3 clusters though..

I would need to see a UB3 in person to make a decision if I want that too.

im calling dibs on that ub3 if 94 cutty doesnt want it

Get your god damn car running first... jeez. Save the Cutlass toys for the guys with non-dysfunctional Cutlasses

There were people claiming that the DIS works for the most part on a 3.4 car (which i kinda figured had a different computer than the 93 also). I love the 'ol 94 though. There's three of them in my neighborhood in PA...Mine, my sisters, and the neighbors 3.4 convert..all '94's!!!

While Gutlesses pride is quite high, I do agree.. Ya need your car runnin first ross.. Once its running, getting the giznmos to work will be a hell of a lot easier.. I have all my gizmos, but my car is also running.. Quite well actually.. Sorry to hijack, lol.. Resume your normal posting habits..

While Gutlesses pride is quite high, I do agree.. Ya need your car runnin first ross..

I'm just sick of seeing him want to bastardize uncommon functional parts from other cars into his broked GP.. I mean, "Richard Petty Edition."

Guest Anonymous

well, it still runs just not good. Im ready to do the swap now, I just cant afford the engine i want for it. Ive been pricing brand spankin new 3.4's at around $2500...

I dont want a jy 3.4 becuase there is no guarantee on it, and even if it worked at the time whose to say 6 months later it wont break down? at least a new or rebuilt 3.4 would have some sort of warranty.

anyway, back to the DIS's...

didnt cutty's have DIS's and 3.4's as well?

Guest Anonymous
I mean, "Richard Petty Edition."

Yes, and your 92 cutlass is just as old and worthless... Its not top of the world like you proclaim you and yourself to be.

Its not top of the world like you proclaim you and yourself to be.

I'm going to avoid a ban right now with this simple response:

:lol:

Ok, ok.. Back ON TOPIC.. Im sure that the unit can physically function, just dont look to it for accurate information is all.. Mainly eye candy.. My main purpose behind the UB3 Digital install.. And the DIC.. And the various other goofy shit only a psychopath like myself could envision.. And about the fold down rear seats..

Guest Anonymous

well its dark in the overhead console, so my option is DIS or a cd changer contol pod. Both would require some modification though. Im not going to see the car for months so who cares! but im planning for when i do see it again.

If you think the DIS will fit in the overhead console, you have no clue. Not a likely chance, unless you pull a w-body duct tape/vinyl stunt in which I'll dismiss the whole idea. As for the '94 Cutlass not giving the right signal, the DIS doesn't get voltage reading, coolant temp, fuel consumption, etc etc from the regular gauge cluster inputs. It reads it off the serial data line, and the '94-up 3.1 computer gives out different information that the DIS cannot read.

Will the fold down rear seat fit in a Lumina? I would like this featurs, as I am always hauling stuff much larger than my trunk can accomodate..

Yes it will, or atleast the '97 cutty seat fits in my '90 Lumina. Only pita was moving the seatbelt reels up to the dash.

Guest Anonymous
If you think the DIS will fit in the overhead console, you have no clue. Not a likely chance, unless you pull a w-body duct tape/vinyl stunt in which I'll dismiss the whole idea. .

I know it wont fit. It will be some sort of custom job, I'll get another console to hack up. Someone suggested I separate the screen from the buttons and have the screen face forward and the buttons facing down at the seats, although I would have to do some fiberglassing, soldering, etc etc... If i had the time and money to put into it, I could probably pull it off and would actually look kinda cool.