What does GTP stand for?

z34_nut

I can remember when the 88 Trans Am GTA was first introduced, Pontiac said it stood for "Grand Turismo Americana." That was the last time I've ever heard of Pontiac's acronyms actually standing for something.

GTA, GTP, GTX, anything to denote "higher performance" without resorting to using the sacred moniker that they've recently slapped on an Australian "bloated Cavalier"...

Your MOM..................

:willynilly:

lol

I think the Z options were just telling the factory to add the performance option.. The numbers were just so they knew WHAT they were building..

mostly unrelated sidenote... Is there any meaning to the Z in all high performance chevy models? Z24 Z34 Z71 Z06 Z51 etc

Z51? Never heard of that one before...what is it?

You forgot Z26, Z28, ZR2, ZR5, and LTZ. :wink:

mostly unrelated sidenote... Is there any meaning to the Z in all high performance chevy models? Z24 Z34 Z71 Z06 Z51 etc

isn't z51 a suspension package on the C5?

isn't z51 a suspension package on the C5?

I believe it is.

come on guys what about the Z31?? :lol: I thought it was just to point out a performance or whatever package. I thought the "34" was the size of the motor that got in the Z34 lumina and monte carlo. Until they put the 3800 in the 98+

they're just RPO codes. RPO Z28 stood for a car being made with the 302 engine(trans-am racing limited engine size to 305ci when the camaro came out) to qualify for that racing circuit.

i think it just caught on and they did the Z24, 26, 34 to market off its success.

Z51 is a sport suspension package for the Corvette that started on the mid-80s C4, and it continued on through the C5, and now to the C6.

It always thought it was kind of funny that the Cavalier Z24 ended up with a 2.4l engine, and it started with a 2.8l. Weird coincidence.