Coolant levels

Guest Anonymous

Pour it in the resevoir if you haven't done anything else. There should be markings on the overflow tank.. one says 'COLD' and the other says 'HOT'. Fill accordingly to engine temperature.

Are you talking about the radiator itself? Open the cap, obviously when the car is cool, or you will need to grow several new layers of skin on your face/hand/arm, and see where the coolant is at. Normally, the coolant should be within a fingers reach from the top. If its really low and you add to the radiator, you will possibly run into air getting trapped.

When the lady gave me the car she opened the cap to check it and it came dripping out, that green stuff, so i assume its full.

Then you're alright.

It should be full to the top if I'm not mistaken. The overflow resivour is only for the access coolant to be stored until the radiator needs it.
You're right about that. If it's low to begin with, then it won't properly draw the coolant from the reserve tank...

FWIW after doing a coolant flush, you will probably need to add more coolant after then engine has heated up and cooled down.. At least that's always been the case with me.