Alternator swappage etcetera

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Well Theres this good GM certified place by me that actually knows what they are doing, excpt they rape you in labor, but do great work. Anyway they said they will do the engine swap on the petty edition for $900 provided I "swap the alternator" I'd save $400 this wayy. Thats $400 for 14 way power seats and rear buckets.

anyway whats involved on a 3.4?

What? what the hell do they mean, if you ever swap a 3.4 you should change the alternator with a high quality one when its easy to get to

and honestly, what good are 14 way seats in a car that dosen't move?

Fix the engine first! I've got lots of stuff I'd love to put in my car, but it needs MECHANICAL equipment fixed first. If the damn thing doesn't run, what is the sense of having toys? It will quickly lose its fun when you sit in the driveway pretending you are driving it. Just push it to the back of your mind for now.

Anyway, WHY won't this shop swap the alternator when the engine is out of the car? It'll be right there in front of their face, so charging $400 just to do that is just pure insanity.

Guest Anonymous

I dont know why either. like i said if i save the 400 that will be for the seats when its on the road. Its just the fact of getting a good engine and the money to do so.

Ask them why they feel that is a reasonable price to charge once the engine is already out of the car.. there is hardly any additional labor at that point. If they were changing JUST the alternator, I could understand that charge. It sounds like they're looking up the standard GM labor hours on JUST an alternator and charging you that. Tell them to drop the charge or find a new sucker. No way in hell is that reasonable.

Guest Anonymous

if I didnt have to have a full time job when I come home in may to fix the car, Id consider doing it all myself, but its just not possible. Ive called around, at least 1000 at every place, most are 1300 w/ alt. It sucks, everything is expensive here in NY.

Well then, I don't know what to tell you. Swapping yourself would be the best way, but its not a viable option. Next step is to go with the cheapest shop that'll do it. Dollar signs cha-ching into their eyes when they see that 3.4 come thru the door, keep that in mind.

Is this price you're being quoted happen to include the engine itself?

When you give those mechanics the engine, give it to them with a NEW alternator already on it!!!... makes sense to me unless there is a clearance issue :confused:

If you need to know how to change an alternator while the engine is in the car:

http://www.60degreev6.com/index.php?p=pages&pid=4

and here

http://www.60degreev6.com/index.php?p=pages&pid=8