Horn Problem, explain this!!!

Baddflash

Ok I'm driving down the road today and some twit cuts me off hard, so I go for the horn and nothing. I stopped and checked the fuse which is fine, I couldn't even hear the relay going so back home I went thinking that I wasn't getting a connection at the steering wheel( I had just changed it)

When I shut the car off and tried the horn it worked fine but as soon as you turn the key on ( doesn't have to be running) the horn quits.

I thought the horn was supposed to have it's own constant power, but if so how would this happen?

I haven't a clue where to even start with this one????? :?

Any help at all would be muchly appreciated, I can't drive in the accident capital of Canada without a horn.

thanks,

Now that I sit and ponder this, the horn contacts connect from the cancel cam to the signal switch (at least they do on every other GM car I've had the steering column apart on...) If it isn't the relay or the contacts, then it's either the cancel cam or the signal switch inside the column...

Well when I bought the car back after it was stolen I had to replace the ignition cylinder at the impound cause I couldn't find the keys...long story... .:twisted:

As I wasn't supposed to do anything but boost the car I had to do it very quickly, and there's a small metal tab that I didn't replace and I have no idea now where it might go or if it is even related.

The strange thing is the horn will work fine with the key off but as soon as the key is turned forward one position or more it quits.

I really doubt a short of any kind as everything else in the column works fine at all time, except for the horn of course.

Does someone know the wiring path for the horn, it has to be connected to the ignition some how, even though it shouldn't.

I haven't really looked at it much cause I wasn't really sure where to start and haven't had the time. Worse case I wire direct power to the horn switch and the problem will be solved, although I'd prefer to fix it properly.

When I got my Cutty, the horn didn't work on it. I wish it did because I had to beep at that dude. Anyways, took it in and ended up being the cancel cam. About 20 bucks I think to have done.