Man, I hate this car!

Zoomina34

But I refuse to sell it for some reason. It just looks so damn good! Anyways, my starter took a dump. I got started on removing it today, but i dont know how i'm gonna get it out once its unbolted. The damn ac lines are right in the way. I did a search and from what i understand you just have to wrestle the thing out? I dont see how i can without breaking one of those lines. ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Also, between the oil filter and starter there is a rubber hose about an inch and half thick. What is this and can i take it off?

That hose is for your oil cooler and if you remove it, you will lose a ton of coolant. I havent had to do the starter with the 3.4 DOHC yet so I dunno how hard it is. Not fun with the 3.1 though. I would consider lifting the motor up some with a hoist and doing it that way to make more room. You could also go with a smaller gear reduction starter for install, which should make life easier in the future.

The 3.4TDC starter shouldn't be any different than the 3.1L.

It's a pain to remove but even worse to install, about all you can do is wrestle it in and out past the other components. Unless you want to do some dis-assembly but I'd reccommend fighting it out of there.

I had to do mine twice with in a week because I didn't have the inspection cover for the 282 when i finished the swap, lots of fun.

Guest TurboSedan

I had to do mine twice with in a week because I didn't have the inspection cover for the 282 when i finished the swap, lots of fun.

i never did bother installing the inspection cover on my 282 and i've never had a problem. as for the starter, i actually just fished mine out up thru the top because i couldn't get the sucker out thru the bottom. i did basically the opposite when reinstalling the new starter. the hard part was just getting the small wires off/on the starter, and even that wasn't too bad.

i never did bother installing the inspection cover on my 282 and i've never had a problem. as for the starter, i actually just fished mine out up thru the top because i couldn't get the sucker out thru the bottom. i did basically the opposite when reinstalling the new starter. the hard part was just getting the small wires off/on the starter, and even that wasn't too bad.

Actually I drove it until I got the inspection cover on, I mainly did it for looks. I actually changed it from the bottom and didn't have much trouble, but like you say the wires suck to put on but it's not that hard.

Not fun with the 3.1 though.

:lol: are you being sarcastic Ben? i thought changing the starter on my 3.1 was about the easiest job ever....

I agree with Ben. There was a lot of crap in the way when I tried to get the 2.8 starter out. I think I finally figured out it helps a lot to pull the oil filter or something like that.

i dunno if it is just me, but it was easy. once you get the hang of rotating it into and out of location it isnt hard at all.

the first one i did, i pushed and pulled and pried it and it wouldnt come out. i rotated the starter toward the front to get the solenoid clear of all the crap on the front of the motor, dropped it down and back, and then slid it out the bottom.

I've started taking it out, but i just noticed there are 2 wires coming off the battery terminal on the solenoid. Theres the one that goes to the battery and another red, approx. 12 gauge wire that goes into a nearby bundle of wires and dissapears. This isnt normal is it? The car has command start, but the remote is broken. I'm thinkin thats what the wire is for? I'm starting to think maybe the command start system might be why it wont start? But i bumped the igniton and battery posts on the starter and got nothing. not even a spark.

Yes, that is normal. You should have two, sometimes three, wires on the big termamal and one wire on the smaller termanal. Make damn sure you have the battery disconected while removing the starter as it could ground out and cause damage.

When I did the starter on the wife's LQ-1, I removed the oil filter and the entire oil cooler assembly. After you take the filter off, see the big nut in the center? Take that off and the cooler drops out. Of course you have to unclamp the cooler lines. Drain the A/F first.

Otherwise, I don't know if you can get the damn thing out of there.

Good luck!

I still cant get the damn thing out. I'm thinking about taking off the piece the filter screws onto. Does it come off? Just undo the nut in the middle and the 2 lines and it should come right out?

I still cant get the damn thing out. I'm thinking about taking off the piece the filter screws onto. Does it come off? Just undo the nut in the middle and the 2 lines and it should come right out?

That's what I did to replace the starter on my 3.1... That adapter comes right off

EDIT: Except there were no lines heh... But I did take the oil pressure adapter off.

This is how I remove the starter:

-drain oil and coolant

-remove oil filter; no need to remove oil cooler(what filter is connected to)

-remove one end of the coolant hose that is in the way. Remove end that is between the subframe and oil pan (connects to engine block)

-remove starter bolts

-move starter to a position so the wires can be disconnected

-with much patience, wiggle the starter out. I think it worked best by first wiggling as far as it would go as it was horizontal, then tipping the gear end upwards and sliding the starter downwards

Install:

-push the gear end in upwards at an angle and aim the solenoid so it clears the a/c line

-making sure the oil cooler hose doesn't get wedged in the way(tricky), tilt the starter till you can push it all the way in horizontally

-the rest is obvious

Tip: use a block of wood to support starter while screwing it back in