Cutlass UB3 Digital question

Dirty Rockstar

How is the mileaqge remembered on this thing? And more importantly, can I modify what it has to say? Or do I need to go to GM and have them alter it? Just wondering, because it wouldbug the piss out of me knowing the mileage is off.. Thanks guys! :D

Okay, any other alternatives that don't cast 3000? lmao

as 92Petty would say,

tape that shhit

if it will cost a lot of money, i'd just say fuck it.

Guest TurboSedan
Or you could always try to locate a cluster that has similar mileage to your car :wink: ...

i'm thinking that's probably going to be your only alternative. i remember Shawn mentioned something about how he tried to change the odometer value, and it re-set itself back to where it was or something. my UB3 cluster came from a car that had almost exactly 20,000 more miles on it than my car has which kinda sucks.

Like I said, Ill try GM.. I mean, if i can't change it, no biggie.. It would just bug me is all.. lol.. Oh well.. If GM cant do it, and I can;t find someone who can, Ill just chalk it up as m car found "The fountain of youth" because the car I got this out of, there isnt a straight man's chance in San Francisco that this Cutlass had 181,xxx miles..

i'm thinking that's probably going to be your only alternative. i remember Shawn mentioned something about how he tried to change the odometer value, and it re-set itself back to where it was or something. my UB3 cluster came from a car that had almost exactly 20,000 more miles on it than my car has which kinda sucks.

Actually, it was my Chevy Silverado cluster I tried this on. I tried advancing my new cluster to match the original one. I tried 2000mph and that was too fast. The digital odometer actually showed it was advancing, but reset back to original mileage when I removed power. At just under 1000mph, that was slow enough for the EEPROM to save the new mileage. On my old cluster, I tried to see if it would rollover... if it would, I was going to try that with my Cutlass cluster. Unfortunately, I found out it stopped at 999,999 miles and wouldn't roll over. I'm not positive the Cutlass cluster would do that, but I don't really want to find out.

Quite simple, actually!

I downloaded a program called "555 Designer" (or something like that). It cranks out a schematic based on your specs. I plugged in that I wanted around 1000Hz (900-something mph) at 50% duty cycle and it came up with a schematic.

I rigged up a 555 timer chip (available at Radio Shack) with the right capacitors and resistors which I already have plenty of in my electronics junk bins. I then connected the output to the VSS wire on the cluster.

I actually used variable resistors so I could fine tune the frequency, and I had the output connected to my multimeter which has a frequency reading so I could get a visual on the exact frequency injected into the VSS wire.