204000 miles too many on 97 Monte Carlo?

stew

looking at a loaded 97 monte LS, loaded with everything but CD, 3100 V6. Seems to run better than many newer cars, all accesories work but the sunroof. it's a 1 owner car with mostly highway miles, few scratches on the body and the center console being broken seem to be the only other issues. I talked to the previous owner, she said she didn't want to trade it in, but her husband made her, states that they changed oil every 2000 miles. Is this worth between 2000 and 2500? Should I expect problems even though the car seems bulletproof when i drove it?

Thanks, Brian

well.. even though every thing that I've learned in life tells me never to buy a car besides a Volvo or Toyota with mileage that high, I'd say you could probably make it another 60k at least, knowing the 3.1. Still, I don't know.. it may be a '97 but that is a LOT of miles.. I dunno..

I paid $2300 CAD (add about $1000 after ALL repairs, but thats still a decent price) for my 1995 with 3100. Its got 215000km which is equal to 129000miles. Personally I would never buy a car with THAT much mileage. $2000-$2500US sounds like more than I paid for my car in the condition that its in, plus you don't know what else it needs....

I'd look for something else. If it was extramely cheap or a rare car I'd understand.

GM cars have terrible resale value, especially when the car has over 150K miles on the clock. I'd offer them $1750, tell them to take it or leave it. If they don't accept, then tell them good luck trying to find someone to buy it. Most people who know nothing about cars, when shopping for a car will run far far away from a car with that many miles.

As far as the car itself, you may eventually have problems with the motor and trans. You should expect that to happen sometime down the road and plan for it accordingly. I'm not saying it will shit out on you tomorrow, but be prepared for it. I'd just drive it until it dies. It could possibly last you 2 or more years if you maintain it religiously.

If that motor takes a shit, instead of replacing it with another 3100, replace it with a 3400 from a 2000-2004 Impala or Grand Am. Check out this site for details: http://www.3400swap.com You can pick up a low mileage 3400 for less than $500 at most boneyards...

well seeings as the last owner claims that it was religiously maintained i'd feel more comfortable bying it. are there any service recipts? like it was said 1700-1800 would be a fair price, you could probably take it to 300k easy if you don't beat on it and keep up the religious matniance.

You can use a 3400 from 99+ L and N bodies.......don't forget the 97+ U vans either (this is where mine came from).

My biggest concern would be the transmission......check the condition and color of the fluid. It should be red and somewhat clear....black = bad. Does it shift (both up and down) alright?

If the transmission should fail down the road, they are cheap to replace. If the motor fails, as Stew mentioned, 3400s are cheap to swap in (I purchased and installed mine for $550). That just leaves brakes and suspension to fail......which are both easy to repair or upgrade.

I'd try and buy the car if you want a Monte......it won't be the quickest thing (3100 W bodies are quite slow)....but it is a decent looking car that does what it was designed for well.

Lets for a second pretend that the motor and transmission ARE good. You still have to contend with a car that has 200k miles on it. That means the suspension, steering, brakes, electrical system, etc... are all due for replacement sometime soon. I'd say its going to be more trouble than its worth.

Heres a small list of what I'm fixing on my 95 GP that I bought last month.. $2000CAD and it has only 215000km (129000miles) but it is still a high mileage car...

-driver's side P. Window

-signal light switch

-all brake pads and rotors

-both mufflers

-R balljoint and tierod

If the engine and trans seem good (look for leaks too) take it to a garage and find out everything that needs to be done (like I did). Otherwise you might find yourself throwing money into a moneypit.

I would offer $1800 on it. If you get it, plan for a 3400 swap, and go ahead and get the new/used engine and tranny ready for when this one does take a crap.

Like WhiteOut said, a car with that high of mileage will have problems, but hell, it's a lot newer than most of the cars on this board, so it may not have as many.

Hell, now that I think about it, I would spend $2000 on a 97 Monte. Could be one hell of a project car.

I would not be afraid of it....but I think $1500 or so would be about it for how much money I would pay...espeically considering I have a fully loaded '94 Cutlass Coupe with a 3100 that has 14,500 miles on it and I paid $4800

:shock: Someone should buy MY car then. I'd be damn happy if I got $1,800 for mine with 97,000 on the clock. I can't imagine how worthless it would become with over 200,000.

97 monte carlo for 1500-2000 dollars? that seems like a damn good deal to me no matter what the milage. what you could do is buy it for as cheap as theyll go and then put a tranny and engine in it right away so you dont have that bad feeling in the pit of your stomach that your just waiting for the engine to take a shit. and then if anything happens to either, you have a backup engine/transmission that you know works and could get you around for a few thousand more miles untill you find another car

Well, they weren't really willing to deal to a decent price, so it looks like a no go, BUT found a 2 owner 96 lumina, stripped (even just has the AM/FM radio, not even a cassette player!), 110k miles, perfect shape, new tires, 2400 out the door, I think they'll probably get it.

Thanks, Brian

well one word of advise when buying base cars, the bug to have all the options will bite you, bad. and you will end up tearing apart the doors to add powerwindows and locks and this and that

Well, I have a 96 Caprice, leather, dual power seats, factory CD, LT1, etc, etc, so it won't bother me HEHEHE Seemed to be the best bet for reliable transport for the $$$$$, but i'll admit, i love options :D I like based out though too, had an 84 S-10, no options, rubber floors, but a 355 under the hood, that thing was fun :D

Brian

best way to see if they kept up with maintenance is to open the 3100 oil cap and look in. At junkyards I normally see coal like buildup everywhere, but occasionally I'll see a clean valvetrain, usually a crashed car.

i'd rather have a stripper car myself. less weight and less shit to go wrong.... I say, go for it. Sounds cheap enough.

Hell no! That's what W-bodies are all about! :D

If my '95 didn't have all the features it does I would have walked right past it....