For Everyone: Bleeder Valves

Jon89le

Well after braking about 3 bleeder valves over the years, and having to buy a WHOLE NEW caliper, i decided to try something new. Mapp Gas. And it worked! I heated up my front bleeder valve with a can of Mapp Gas i have (propane im sure would work as well) and the valve pretty much almost came out by hand. I heated up the caliper housing, not the valve itself, as to not possibly fatigue the metal. Well this was just an FYI i figured id share. Maybe save someone some money later on down the road. Im off to try and repair the rear bleeder valve i snapped now :lol:

Just gotta say, I hope the heat stayed around the bleeder hole and didn't transfer over toward the rubber boot around the pistons!

Sounds like an excellent idea, seeing as Mapp gas gets hotter than propane does...

I held the flame very close to where the valve was. The way i did it was i had my dad hold the torch while i turn the valve. To be honest the caliper barely got hot but it made the valve/fluid get warm.

^^^^^^^

What he said. I did this very quick. Held the flame there for maybe 10seconds and unscrewed the valve. The main thing is the Gas. Damn mapp gas smells aweful.

I sure am glad I don't live that far North. I've never had a problem breaking a bleeder valve free.

I live south of you and have broke several of them. It all depends on the area you live and the amount of salt they use to clear the roads in the winter...lol