Broken Door Handle

harrydunn

Hey Guys,

Door handle broke into two pieces this weekend. The portion of the handle visible from the exterior is fine but the portion concealed within the door snapped about 3" down. I've had it off and looked at it and was wondering if it worth a try to fix it. Going to call some junkyards as well.

Thanks.

Coupe?

You will have to replace the whole door handle. They are made out of garbage metal and cannot be fixed. Its a very easy job to replace them, I've done it several times to my 88' and will probably have to eventually do it on my 95.

look on ebay theres always tons of em for about $25 brrand new

from what i understnad the handles are more prone to break if you use them to pull the door open the full way, if you just use it to pull the door open a little ways then grab the door frame you will get longer life from your handles... or so i'm told

but this only applys if you have a coupe

from what i understnad the handles are more prone to break if you use them to pull the door open the full way, if you just use it to pull the door open a little ways then grab the door frame you will get longer life from your handles... or so i'm told

but this only applys if you have a coupe

Thats what I do. As little force on the door handle parts as possible. HOWEVER, if it breaks from the inside there isn't really much you can do..

Went ahead and dropped the $45 for a new one at a local yard. Fit up perfect. The extra money was worth having it on today rather than having to wait a week or so. Pushing the door open from the passenger side was getting old quick! He said he see's them break all the time. Apparently the replacements are sturdier.

The replacements are about as weak as the stockers. Someone at GM was smoking some serious weed when they designed those handles. Apperntly, GM doesn't require its designers to know anything about physics.

Hey, I've never had any problems with mine, and I've had to open a frozen shut door. I love the door handles on my coupe! Everyone new to my car always goes WTF?????? and is feeling around where the sedan door handles are, especially in the dark. It's a :lol: riot.

I love 'em too...people can diss on them all they want...but that isn't changing anything!!! Same goes for Mini-Quads...there's just something sweet about those too