How to keep low beam on w/ highs?

supreme_style21

How do you keep the low beams on with the high beams? Fog lights as well, if it isn't an extra hassle. I've seen 'kits' for cars but if I can do it with some relays and whatnot, cool.

Couldn't you just splice into the wires that go to the highbeams, and wire that up with the lowbeams/fog lights?

With my 'trial and error' schemes, I figured I'd give that a shot, but a buddy of mine said I'd need to tie relays in there somewhere.

I'd use a relay. The way I'd probably do it is to go under the dash and find the high and low beam wires out of your turn-signal switch, then feed the low beam from one of your contant powers for your ign. switch, switched on by the high beam wire and a ground.

on mine, it was the top left when looking at it from the drivers seat when its all intact... top right when you're actually looking at all the pins straight on. and yeah, the actual switch. the only thing with that is the fogs don't come on with the lows.

EDIT: Oh yeah, but that makes the buzzer not work that's supposed to warn you when you leave the lights on after shutting off the car. Hence the reason I ran my battery dead twice this week :D

That's weird, my Cutlass convertible had both the brights and dims on when you kicked the brights on. I just assumed that all the cars with the mini-quads were this way..

MVC-007S.JPG

Napa sells a relay kit specifically for this purpose. Its about $20 and includes all the wiring necessary. I had one on my previous car ('90 Bonneville SSE) and it was worth the money. I'll try to find a part number.

EDIT: Part number: 7352942

Price: $18.49

http://www.napaonline.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/NAPAonline/search_results_product_detail.d2w/report?prrfnbr=15620747&prmenbr=5806

Yeah I've seen those kits and was gonna try avoid 'em, but when you add up the cost of relays and wire, the price comes out to be about the same.. so perhaps I'll end up going that route.

You'd have to do relays. All the power to the headlights runs through the light off/on switch and the dimmer switch also I think. If you managed to get all four on without relays wired in from the alternator, ...you'd get a pretty hot light switch.