B4U paint fade

Guest Anonymous

Welcome to the world of Pontiac's cheap-ass plastic.
Yeah, and just be lucky you (hopefully) don't have any rust underneath the door trim clips. By the time you see it poking out, it's too late. Gotta love that Pre-Bob Lutz Tin Indian styling!

Guest Anonymous

I'll have to post a pic of how bad the front clip looks. I never noticed it until now.

I have a tiny spec of rust just above the passenger door trim panel. I dont think there is much, thankfully, I went over it throughrully (sp?) and didnt find any.

But, the paint fade is bad... its gone from flaming blue to a shale gray :puke:

I have a tiny spec of rust just above the passenger door trim panel.
Does it look like it's coming from underneath the trim, or is it a spot nowhere near the trim?

If it looks like it's started under the trim, you'll most likely need a new door skin. That's what happened on my old Grand Am, and when I popped off the trim, every one of the "rivets" that held the trim clips to the door skin had huge rust holes around them. It didn't seem like there was much rust on the door with the trim still attached. Boy was I surprised...

Guest Anonymous

Its maybe a half inch above the trim. There is a little paint flake and it rusted underneath the flake. I would hope there isnt any rust under it, becuase like i said there isnt any other rust on the car, i looked underneath and such and still all blue.

What's the name of that shade of blue? It looks very similar to "Brilliant Blue Metallic" (which was only used from 94-96.) I want to locate a 95-96 B4U coupe in Brilliant Blue. That color kicks ass!!!

This is my old 94 GA which was Brilliant Blue (bought it brand new):

941.jpg

Here's how bad the rust was on my 87 GA (pic is after I cut out the rust and tried some fiberglass matting topped with a bit of bondo.) You can also see it next to my 94 in the above pic after I smoothed out the bondo and repainted it...

872.jpg

Guest Anonymous

On the sales invoice it says the color is "Light Blue Metallic" but its not really light blue. I really like the color, it looks awesome in the sunlight. Other petty owners just call it "petty blue" but I think that is more of a baby blue? Anyway, Ive seen the 94+ coupes in a very similar color, i think it has the slightest bit more of purple in it or am i mistaken?

I hope to God the rust isnt like tthat on my car. If so, I am hanging myself. What did you do with your GA and the rust?

What I should have done was cut off the door skins and replace them. What I did do (this was 10 years ago, BTW) was remove all the trim and clips, and take a 3M paint removing disc (hooked to a drill) to the paint, and cut out the rust with a die grinder w/a cutoff wheel. I then took a hammer and dolly to the edges of the hole to make an indentation (there are special vice grips to do this, too.) I then bought a fiberglass repair kit and used the mesh (dipped in resin) to fill in the holes. After some sanding, I smoothed over it with a light coat of bondo and painted it. I never put the side cladding back on the doors, fenders, and quarter panels and it looked better without it (on that car anyway.) I just put the black strip that went above the cladding back on.

Well, about a year later, the seam on the bottom of the door skin started to rot through! Anyways, I sold the car to my brother, and about 6 months later, he hit a deer and the impact caused the fiberglass from the repair to crack and it fell out of the door (the driver's side anyway.)

So it was most definitely "experimental." It looked fairly good when I was done, but I wouldn't recommend doing it at all if you want it done right. Especially since you have a Petty, if it's rotted through, just replace the door skins when you can afford it...

you might try using that Flitz finish restorer and polish ball set they've been hawking on the Power Block on Spike. I've seen it used and it does do the job it promises.