I'm so cheap!

THe_DeTAiL3R

About a week ago I opened up the airbox on my new '95 only to find there was NO air filter! :?

I've already mailed a money order to 90TGP for a used K&N, but until then I have to improvise..

I didn't want to spend $10 for a paper filter that I will be throwing away anyways, so I made one out of a furnace filter. Put lots of duct tape around the edges to make sure that its sealed up and woun't fly up into the intake.

I woun't be driving it much until about a week.. so 90TGP make sure you ship the K&N ASAP!!!

Now the rest of you can start flaming me :P :lol:

Its actually made from a very large industrial filter my dad found at work. Its about 1.5 inches thick, not the thin kind like your regular home furnace filter. Its in a zig-zag shape with some metal holding it together.

I dunno.. if I get the brakes and mufflers done before the K&N arrives I think I will just go and buy a regular filter and hope it doesn't get dirty so I can return it.

Guest Anonymous

Instead of buying and using fiberglass for a new console around my DIC, i used vinyl basemolding from the Home Depot that I bougfht for $1.79.

The list goes on

Its actually made from a very large industrial filter my dad found at work.
Instead of buying and using fiberglass for a new console around my DIC, i used vinyl basemolding from the Home Depot that I bougfht for $1.79.

Cue the MacGyver theme music!

Do either of you guys live in the Possum Lodge? Red Green would be so proud!!! :lol: :lol:

On my first car (80 Skylark - I was 17) I was too cheap to buy 4X10's for the rear deck (deck was too skinny for 6X9's) so I put in 2 sets of 4" dual cones (that I got at Worst Buy, which was just a local chain at the time, for $10 a pair.) I also rigged up a household lightswitch under the dash to switch the radiator fan on and off when the relay went out. I remember replacing the rusted out exhaust with flex pipe on that car and hanging it with wire coat hangers :lol: . That was the extent of my Red Green engineering (on any car,) thank God!

There is an entire roll of dollar store duct tape supporting my DIC

you sure you needed the entire roll? :lol:

sorry guys i just thought that was really runny...potty humor at its best

Red Green is a Canadian show.. its been on since I was a kid!

Anyways I couldn't stand the thought of the small *possibility* of a chunk of furnace filter going into my throttlebody, so I broke down and payed $8.00 for a Fram filter at Walmart.. that's as cheap as you can get! I still got the receipt in the box, hopefully it woun't get dirty and I can get my money back.

I bought a car once only to find out someone had used drywall mud to fix holes in the fender.

I used packing lables (8" x 10") to reconstruct the rear quarters on a rusted out Tempo I sold a guy. I put them on the car and painted them to match the car.

I used ducktape to fix a tranny mount then painted it black so no one would notice.

I used Blue Silcone and a piece of aluminum can to fix a hole in a radiator once.

I have since learned the value of if its worth fixing, its worth doing right.

I bought a car once only to find out someone had used drywall mud to fix holes in the fender.

I used packing lables (8" x 10") to reconstruct the rear quarters on a rusted out Tempo I sold a guy. I put them on the car and painted them to match the car.

I used ducktape to fix a tranny mount then painted it black so no one would notice.

I used Blue Silcone and a piece of aluminum can to fix a hole in a radiator once.

I have since learned the value of if its worth fixing, its worth doing right.

You, sir are a true disciple of both Red Green and MacGyver!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

My old man used colored Duct Tape to "patch" the rusted out quarter panels on his old "Crud-oba" back in the day. I remember him backing the same car into the garage and tearing off the driver's side mirror (we think he was drunk) and he reattached it using Hot Glue!!! I remember him using an angle bracket later on when the hot glue failed. I'm glad I didn't inherit his "mechanical ability!" :lol: (meaning "mechanical ineptitude.") His concept of an oil change was that the car burned a quart of oil every thousand miles, so every time he had to add was like he was "changing the oil." Crazy crazy crazy...

i cant tell you guys how many times i found the use for duct tape ... its the best in my book. from holding sidemarker lights on to holding a front end on the olds... well duct tape and bungee cords but that was just for a few days but i bow down to duct tape

I had an $80 1977 4 door Datsun 210 with alot of dents and a missing air dam under the front to connect the two front fenders. They flopped in the wind like wings. I used a bungie cord to hold them down. I got alot of room at the center line as cars went past.

I also hit a deer with it and got nearly no damage. Just a small ding around the rightside headlight metal, some tufts of fur on the molding, and alot of deer slobber on the side windows.