Perfect shift light

Guest Anonymous

And why would any car manfacturer take the time to add a shift light to an automatic? That seems a bit worthless, wouldn't you say? I do believe that someone on this forum either did it, or figured out how to do it.

The 5 speed shift light is hardly a perfect shift light for speed or performance, it's mainly for fuel economy. I usually shift my Cutty at 4500 and the Z at about 5500, but I take it easy on them.

Guest Anonymous

I'll have to tinker around with it and try to get it to work. I need to do the illuminated intercooled turbo mod too. and dows the premium unleaded light up as well?

Guest Anonymous

The shift light is on all the GP clusters I've ever seen. It's just the way they are made. The auto's didn't have a bulb in it and it wasn't programmed into the chip.

Picture460.jpg

Guest Anonymous
how did you get yours to work, if that pic is yours, of course.

It is mine. And if I tell I'll have to kill you. :shock:

Actually I had it in my 90 GP LE that had a 5-speed.

When I had my old 85 Grand Am, I wired the radiator fan to a manual switch. I hooked in a relay that would ground out and illuminate the shift light on the cluster whenever I switched the fan off. You have to locate the spot on the cluster's harness where the shift light wire goes, and add the pin/wire combo. The shift light on the GA would illuminate when the wire was grounded (which I'm sure originally went to the ECM.)

I know this won't make the light illuminate when you're supposed to shift, but that's how you get it to illuminate manually...

try just adding a light in it first. and as I thought the shift lights gives you the best shift anytime. If your just driving it will give you economy. But if your at WOT it gives you best shift points.

Ever drive a 3.4L DOHC 5 speed? Or even a manual transmission car? Pretty sure that little light is worthless. In fact, I'm trying to remember if it even comes on during WOT. Either way, the entire idea of a shift light is dumb and designed for the completely inept jackasses that piss me off.

I have never EVER needed a shift light for any reason....they're pointless to me
Exactly. You don't even really need a tach for that matter (but they're nice to have on a manual.) You pretty much know when the car's out of breath and needs to be shifted just by looking around and listening to the engine anyway. And besides, looking for the stupid light to light up is distracting (as if driving a manual didn't take up most of your concentration in the first place...)

I do know the points change cuz ive drivin a 90 Beretta GTZ, manual, quad4, and the light comes on a different times depending on throttle position. But yes I do agree they are very pointless unless you are a noob at manual.

Guest Anonymous

oh its defiently pointless, but I wanted it to be on (maybe all the time) just for looks, shits, and gigles, so people in my car would be like what is that yellow arrow for, and i could say its perfect shifting, despite the fact that the car is a manual and the arrow is always on. In case no one noticed, i like my dash all lit up with lights and pointless gadgets.