HUD adjustment

Darkness

Has anyone messed with the HUD?

Using the slide adjuster, I can make the image go from completely gone to about halfway there. When I move the adjuster it makes a stripped noise and kind of jerks. Is there a way to get in there and fix things, or at least set it so it's visible without me having to raise my seat till my head hits the roof?

Also, I notice that a lot of people have '90 TGPs in their sigs. Am I the only one here with an '89? heh,heh

(There! Now it doesn't say GTPs anymore!)

Damn coding...

Guest Anonymous
It's a "Turbo Grand Prix" NOT a "Grand Turbo Prix". :shock:

Oh well hell.. I knew that.

It was a mistype, for goodness sake!

Just making sure.

As for the hud, when you move the slider it should click and to me it did sound like something stripped like you're saying. When I would have mine adjusted all the way up I could just barely see it. There may be nothing wrong with yours.

I had to take the cover off and wedge something between the mirror and the slider to see my image, when I had a hud from an 89 TGP. It's easy, take the dash pad off, then there are 4 bolts that hold the hud on.

I'll skip the stuff I did wrong and go right to the fix.

I discovered that the ratcheting sound I hear when adjusting the display is due to a checkball on the bottom of the adjuster bouncing along a metal slotted part of the housing. There are no gears to strip inside.

The adjuster slides in a slot on an arm which determins the position of the mirror. In this case, a little bit goes a long way. The problem was that there was not enough adjustment. So, I removed the arm from the adjuster and mirror. The arm has two alignment pins and little self-tapping bolt that hold it to the mirror. I took a piece of electrical tape and covered the top pin, covered that with the cardboard backing from a halogen headlight bulb package and covered that with another piece of tape. I put the arm back on the mirror, resulting in mirror having a few degrees more rotation since the top of the arm was a little off kilter.

I put everything back together and it looks great. It is still adjustable as a bonus.