where to get getrag 5 speed

dohc v6

i need to know where i can order a getrag 5 speed transmission. i went to a website and they had them there for 1800 but i can find that website i think it was a fiero website. i would go to the dealer but it is discontinued. i would appreciate any help.

i have 2 5 speeds i need to get them rebuilt. i am rebuilding a 92 5 speed and i want to get it rebuild before i put it in. and all the shops that do transmissions are lousey.

Guest TurboSedan

definately the junkyard, altho 5-speed W-bodies seem to be more common in some parts of the country than others. i can think of 3 5-speed Grand Prixs in the local salvage yard here, and one of them still has a good 282 in it. i bought my first 282 from a forum member, and the second 282 i bought for $160 from a local salvage yard (altho i had to replace the TO bearing shaft and end bearings before i could use it). my 3rd 282 was just given to me by another forum member - all i had to do was drive 8 hours to pick it up :)

btw, can anyone verify that a Getrag 282 from an L/J/N body will work in a W-body? i've heard the intermediate shaft was different (it simply slips in rather than bolts on), and i've also heard that the tranny mount is different? does anyone here actually have a Getrag 282 from an L/J/N body in their W-body?

I'm pretty sure that gen2 Cavi's with the 3.1L have the exact same 282 as the w-bodys (a '92 donated my flywheel) although the gearing may be different. The slave cly setup is different as well as the mount (although the w mount points may be there) on corsicas and what not although I never payed attention to the splines orientation.

I know that they use the same inter. shaft mount bracket so I'd say they have the same length shaft, also some use the same shift cable mount as w-bodys. The shifter/cables, master/slave cyls and pedals aren't supposed to work to good at all from what I've heard.

There are a number of parts that are specific to w-body's so it would be much easier to have Gp as a parts donor. (what else are they good for anyway :lol: )

This is if you don't plan to put it behind the 3.4TDC. If that's you intention you should get the 284 which is meant for that engine.

I wish you good luck on the search and I'd bring something to lube up :wink: cause you're gonna get @ss raped. :lol:

Guest TurboSedan
the 5-speeds in the n-body are quad4 trannys and have different bolt pattern

yes, but you can easily swap a V6 bellhousing on, so that isn't too much of an issue (provided you can find a V6 bellhousing).